Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need creative advice (newbie)

1. Default need creative advice (newbie)

Shooting video has become a hobby of mine over the past year. Just enjoy the filming and editing process a lot. Just want to develop better skills.

I'm creating a video, it's about being alone and waiting for, or losing someone. Will be shot in black and white, with the D90. I have a rough idea of what I want to do, I'll try explain.

If I can't explain properly, I'll make a quick video of what I'm trying to imagine, and post it later.

I'm hoping someone could help. Again, I'm not that good with video! Just someone who loves to watch peoples films, and 'attempt' to make my own.

The song for the vid will be "house built for two", which clearly sets the tone for the video. I'm just trying to get close up images of objects around the apartment, in stark black/white contrast, that somehow symbolize being alone and waiting for/losing someone. Trying to get that feeling conveyed. I'm finding it difficult to do though.

Some ideas I thought of...Shoot the lights, with one bulb working and the other not. Shoot the wooden ikea statue standing alone. Close up of shoe lace tied up. Not sure what else, maybe a close up of the kitchen sink, but not sure why.

I don't think I'm doing a good job of explaining what I have in mind...lol. I will shoot some video together right now, put it in fcp real quick, and make a quick sketch of what I'm trying to do. Sorry if you read all this, will post the video later today...I just hope vimeo doesn't fail me!

I think I've got a bit of an idea what you are trying to say, showing objects to symbolise the mood of being alone etc..

I always like to see the person waiting/being lonely. This will involve some acting perhaps looking longingly at a photo of your loved one. Another idea is perhaps ghostly echo'ed voices of the missed person. You could do this a couple of ways trying to follow the music closely with the editing or staying very loose from it.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think I've got a bit of an idea what you are trying to say, showing objects to symbolise the mood of being alone etc..
    EXACTLY! Don't know why I couldn't put it like that myself.

I just shot some random clips, and edited close to what I want the final clip to be like. The shots are VERY random, when I do the project, will DEFINITELY take more time to compose properly. Some objects, I just shot for the sake of editing and style, and ofcourse, those clips will not be in the final vid (just want to make that clear..lol)

I don't like puting myself in videos, but I happened to shoot one clip in the mirror. Not sure what to think of it.

I don't want to use a tripod. I want to handhold the camera, so that I can invoke some kind of nostalgic feeling. not sure what the word to describe it is. In the clips, I didn't pay much attention to this, but got the idea from it.

I think what will make/break this video, is the objects I choose, and how I compose the shots. I like video making this way, as I have a little experience with photography. I think lighting will be key also. And I'm pretty sure black/white works well.

The video is currently being processed, once its done, I'll post it on vimeo, and post the link here...appreciate the input Midnight Blue!

Vid i will be posting is a VERY VERY VERY rough draft of what I plan to do. Just shot it very fast, and edited fast to post on here. Just thought I'd clarify that! Incase people think that its a final result or something...lol
    Last edited by goonerman007; 01-02-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goonerman007 View Post
    I don't want to use a tripod. I want to handhold the camera, so that I can invoke some kind of nostalgic feeling. not sure what the word to describe it is.
    I think I know what you mean about the hand held shots something like a natural authenticity to it. BUT with handheld shots you need to have a really steady hand to make the shots your going for look good which would means you may as well use a tripod. Hey but your the director. lol

Good luck with your project.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think I know what you mean about the hand held shots something like a natural authenticity to it. BUT with handheld shots you need to have a really steady hand to make the shots your going for look good which would means you may as well use a tripod. Hey but your the director. lol

Good luck with your project.
    Thanks, appreciate it...I think a tripod after all would be a good call! I'm pretty good with hand holding, but I just want to make this project the best I can possibly get it. Will put a lot of work into it, and take time to plan it out.

I decided to upload the pre-pre-video on youtube, its a lot faster, says 30 minutes to go, but i think it has to process after that.

thanks again though!

6. Default

not sure how to embed youtube videos, i suppose if i just post the link, the video will pop up like vimeo did?

not sure if i've created the mood. as far as i can tell, i just need to think about the objects i'm going to shoot, and try to edit as best as possible to get the mood right.

so, that video is just a brief idea of what i'm thinking. hoping to expand it. again, i feel that the objects and composition is going to have to be top notch to pull this off. and so is the editing. because that is what is going to have to tell the story.

not sure if i can pull this off, but will give it my best shot. if there someone doesn't mind sharing advice, i'd be grateful to hear it, thanks!
    Last edited by goonerman007; 01-01-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Just to throw my 2p worth in having scanned this thread.
    1. Much of the "Nostalgic look" in the sample you posted comes from both the music and the opening shoy whic was either shot on film, now faded and washed out or treated to look such.
    2. One way to show lonliness in a shot is to make the subject very small in the frame with a lot of distance between it and its nearest objects. And put the subject to the side of the shot (not central, and not on one of the "thirds") Yours sample showed all the objects close up. I think this could work in tandem with the idea above - show it in extreme close-up and then a wide shot - for example the shoelace as is and then a shot of the bottom half of an almost empty wardrobe (ie not too much hanging up) with the shoe (or pair of) alone in the bttom.
    Tim

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Just to throw my 2p worth in having scanned this thread.
    1. Much of the "Nostalgic look" in the sample you posted comes from both the music and the opening shoy whic was either shot on film, now faded and washed out or treated to look such.
    2. One way to show lonliness in a shot is to make the subject very small in the frame with a lot of distance between it and its nearest objects. And put the subject to the side of the shot (not central, and not on one of the "thirds") Yours sample showed all the objects close up. I think this could work in tandem with the idea above - show it in extreme close-up and then a wide shot - for example the shoelace as is and then a shot of the bottom half of an almost empty wardrobe (ie not too much hanging up) with the shoe (or pair of) alone in the bttom.
    man, i appreciate it so much! your ideas are fantastic, and i'm going to use them, definitely. i like what you said about use of space, and depth to show the feeling of alone...lots of possibilities to go with... thanks for the wardrobe idea also!

thank you!

EDIT: i agree with you, i feel nostalgia comes from the music, and the film look, i can't go wrong with either one, so it has to be backed up with some stellar composition, and shots (going to be challenging). editing in black and white might be tricky...above was just a very rough idea of what i'm trying to do, but something like that. thanks again!
    Last edited by goonerman007; 01-02-2010 at 12:05 AM.

9. Default

finally got the vimeo version to work. i think a 'film' look would add to the video, i tried to achieve it, but not sure if success or not. which clips from the video look most like 'film'

the best way to adjust film would be to mess with the gamma setting? and levels (doing black/white)? how about grain..yes or no?

thanks.

and yes, i suppose the best way to get the film look is to use film. i would if i could, but i'm using the D90 to record everything...lol

I think shooting with the D90 will help give it a "film look". Which is such a funny term was it is impossible to define. Things like shallow depth of field are much easier to achieve with a good Nikon lens than with a normal video lens. This to me is a big part of the "film look".

Shooting at 24fps is another thing that should help with the look you want although 25fps would also be fine. A high contrast ratio is another quality of film as this tends to get compressed with lower end video cameras. It's like the difference between analog and digital sound recording. Some people can't tell the difference but some can.

Your example video shows a great start to getting the "film look", don't forget to follow Tims advice about doing long shots. You will need to have a good mix of shots to keep the viewer interest as just close ups, although nice to look at, will get tedious after a while.

The biggest thing to remember about film making is the communication. All art forms are a mixture of communication and technical skill. It's easy to get so wrapped up in the technical stuff that the communication can get lost.

One last bit of advice is plan your shoot before hand. This will make post production much easier and quicker.

AND HAVE FUN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast