Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWAN Matches - my fake commercial

Default SWAN Matches - my fake commercial

Hey everyone,

my very first video posted on here I hope you all enjoy, a semi-NSFW my be needed if you're easily offended lol.

All comments and criticism is highly appreciated.

Shot with my 500d DSLR with the 55-250mm and DCR250 filter whilst shooting some stock footage.
    Last edited by grey.squirrel; 01-01-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Warning added

Very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Very clever.
    Childish I know lol.

Thanks the reply, though I can't tell if it was sarcastic or not lol

Wink

Oh believe me, you'll know when I'm being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Oh believe me, you'll know when I'm being sarcastic.

Now I am confused lol, the internet has a lot to answer when it comes to portraying emotions lol. I must point out that I did not intend for it to be rude but sometimes you gotta go with the flow lol.

Blog Entries

Beautiful shot.
    Amusing tag-line (though I'm not entirely happy about ending the sentence with a preposition, but that's grammar school for you)

And from what I've gathered from MBs 800 odd other posts, I can assure you he was being sincere in both posts in this thread.
    Tim

For the benefit of those of us who didn't have a Grammar school education here is a link to explain what a preposition is about.

Thanks for the comments Tim, I must admit my grammer tends to go out the window sometimes.

And thanks MB for the link, always nice to learn something. I think that last sentence may have suffered the same fate, unless I'm totally wrong and misunderstood the link lol.

I did it in my last post just to wind Tim up for being so anal about grammar. lol BUT that's just because I talk with a terrible northern accent. Like starting a sentence with BUT. lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grey.squirrel View Post
    Thanks for the comments Tim, I must admit my grammer tends to go out the window sometimes.
    As MB correctly points out, I was being deliberately anal It's not uncommon for ads to use phrases which are technically gramatically incorrect - presumably because it's "friendlier" to use the types of phrases people use in everyday speech.

One which ran for years around my area (North Surrey/SW London) was "Currie Motors - nice people to do busines with". It grated with me but I have to admit "Currie Motors - nice people with whom to do business" wouldn't quite have the feel they were aiming for. (Or, more correctly, would not have the feel for which they were aiming)

In the same way "matches about which to get excited" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

Anyway, the so called "rule" about not ending a sentence with a preposition has lost much favour, primarily due to the sometimes tortuous methods needed to avoid it. As Windston Churchill supposedly said "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

So, my bracketted comment about the grammar should really be taken as a compliment that not only did you come up with a suitably amusing tagline, but also that you used exactly the sort of grammatically incorrect phrase that ad-men might come up with (erm....up with which ad-men might come).

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast