Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Sound Forge

Post Sony Sound Forge

Can anyone help with the following issues relating to Sony Sound Forge:

1. I am adjusting volume levels in movie clips made up of (say) 15 seconds extracted from (say) 8 minutes of footage. Sound Forge wants to adjust, and save, the whole piece of footage. Is there any way I can get it to adjust only the small section I'm using in the movie?

2. Wind noise. Regretably, a lot of my outside footage is useless because of wind noise. Are there in any plug-ins or similar to Sound Forge that will help me filter out, or at least minimise, wind noise?

Blog Entries

I haven't used Sound Forge for a while but, if I remember, you just mark the section you want to alter, right click and then adjust volume.

That's just a guess, I'll have to find out...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 01-01-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Paulears

Thank you. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. One of the clips in this documentary is 25 seconds long, but was extracted from a 40 minute interview, I suppose I just have to make a cup of tea and wait. As for the wind noise, I'll have a go with the Eq. I had limited success reducing machinery noise so I'll go and rail against the wind. BobS

Very wrong, I fear. Try sixteen minutes to adjust the volume on 25 minutes of footage.

Angry

Paul. I am using Sound Forge Studio V9 to adjust the sound levels in each of 355 clips in a documentary being edited in Sony Vegas Platinum V9. The computer has a Pentium chip running at 3.2Ghz and the machine has 1 GB of RAM. There is a 250GB hard drive dedicated to this movie.

I just did a check as follows to adjust the volume in a six second clip taken from a 22min piece of footage. The time to adjust the volume and resave the clip was 15 minutes 50 seconds. I'm new to Sound Forge and I'm following these steps:
    . right click the sound track in the clip and get the menu
    . click on 'Open in Sound Forge'
    . in Sound forge, the clip portion of the wave form is highlighted and I play it to check levels
    . then I click 'Process' to get the drop-down menu and click 'Volume'
    . I adjust the slider and replay the clip to check I've got the levels right.
    . Click 'OK'
    . Then I delete the clip in Sound Forge and get the dialogue box asking me if I want to save the changes
    . Click 'Yes'. Sit and wait for eternity.
    . When the clip is saved, I go back to Vegas where the clip is still highlighted and wait while Vegas builds new peaks.

This process is burning up heaps of space on the hard disc.

OK. Thanks Paul

Blog Entries

Not a Vegas expert but a user of four years...
    I use GoldWave generally as my Audio Editor, but I have a copy of Sound Forge Audio Studio v9 which I'll install and have a play.
    I have to say with GoldWave, I follow similar process to you (select a sound event on the timeline, "Open in External Audio Editor", make a change, save it and I'm back in Vegas with the edited sound in a flash.

HOWEVER
    Is there a reason you're using a separate sound editor? Vegas has some excellent sound FX built in. Indeed it started life as a sound mixer/editor.

I you're only after changing volume, use a Volume envelope. Right Click the audio track, "Insert/Remove Envelope", Volume (or simply highlight the track and Ctrl+V). You now have a line set at +0db. Double click it to create points, drag points up and down to increase/decrease volume.
    Tim

Blog Entries

OK, I've had a play and can see exactly what is going on.

When you select "Open in Sound Forge", you are asking Sound Forge to be opened with the whole VIDEO file. You are then editing this video file in Sound Forge. When you close & save it is having to create a new version of the whole original file sound AND video (with your sound edits applied) and then delete the original. From the look of it Sound Forge is not particularly efficient at taking the video portion and applying NO changes to it when outputting the new version.

What's more when I ried it, it converted my original 16:9 source to 4:3!

However working that way is BAD news. It it making NON_REVERSABLE CHANGES to your original video file.

Much better for two reasons is instead of "Open in Sound Forge" use "Open COPY in Sound Forge"

This creates a NEW audio file only of just the bit you select in Vegas. Edit this in Sound Forge. Save it and it will replace the sudio section on your Vegas timeline.

And your original file is untouched, should you need it.

But for simple volume adjustment - use Volume Envelopes.
    Tim

Thanks, Tim. I'm using a separate audio editor because adjusting the blue line in the audio track in Vegas was not giving me uniform sound levels across all 340 clips. Now that I've perservered (and bought some more storage) I've been able to render the movie and the reproduced sound levels are much better than I've been able to achieve before. That doesn't say much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    Thanks, Tim. I'm using a separate audio editor because adjusting the blue line in the audio track in Vegas was not giving me uniform sound levels across all 340 clips.
    I'm not sure I understand this. If you have 340 clips on the timeline, you can adjust the volume of each individually - either using Velocity Envelopes or using the "Gain" (another blue line which you can pull down from the top of each sound event)

How does doing that in SF make this any easier? (Asked in all seriousness, in case I'm missing a trick)

PS Did you see my second post about using "Open COPY in Sound Forge"? You may have missed it whilst typing your response.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-06-2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast