Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eliminating black bars in widescreen clips?

1. Default Eliminating black bars in widescreen clips?

I've noticed when I change a 4:3 (fullscreen) video into widescreen in Vegas, then it'll change into widescreen without the traditional, widescreen black bars on the top and bottom. Personally, I think it looks better on youtube without the black bars. However, when I have a film clip which is already in widescreen, how do I change it to eliminate the black bars, but still keep it in the same widescreen setting? I've tried a few different settings under project properties, but none seem to get rid of these.

I wouldn't mind, but it's not very good for continuity reasons when you have no bars, and then bars etc.

Grateful for any help. Thanks

You could just resize it with the Even pan/crop tool.

3. Default

Hmmm. I did give that a go, but the problem is when you resize it to show it minus the black bars, it reduces the width of the entire video.

You need to choose the move freely tool within the Event Pan/Crop.

5. Default

Already done that. The problem is I get the height correct (no black bars,) but when I try and resize to get the width back, the black bars on the top and bottom re-appear. This is using the move freely.

I can screencap if this is making no sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Nightingale View Post
    Hmmm. I did give that a go, but the problem is when you resize it to show it minus the black bars, it reduces the width of the entire video.
    Well it will won't it?

Unless I'm misundertanding you...

If your whole image - including black bars is 16x9 and you want to eliminate the black bars but keep the image 16:9, then you have to zoom in. If you zoom in you're going to loose width AS WELL AS height. (Unless you stretch the image one way, but that'll make everyone tall & thin!)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Well it will won't it?

Unless I'm misundertanding you...

If your whole image - including black bars is 16x9 and you want to eliminate the black bars but keep the image 16:9, then you have to zoom in. If you zoom in you're going to loose width AS WELL AS height. (Unless you stretch the image one way, but that'll make everyone tall & thin!)
    Tims right unless you shoot with the correct aspect ration you will have to compromise on having black bars, loosing some of the image or squashing/stretching the image.

8. Default

OK. Thanks for confirming that. I'll decide which I'd rather compromise.

It is a DVD movie, rather than footage I've shot myself, but that probably doesn't make much difference.

When you say "it's already widescreen" do you mean 16:9 or something 'wider'? (say 2.35:1) If you want something wider to show as 16:9 it's the same problem as showing 4:3 as 16:9 - you have to zoom in to fill the frame. Rather than black bars, a pretty good workaround for this (which you can see quite a lot on TV) is to zoom the clip in to fill the 16:9 shape. Add a Gaussian blur to that, then put a copy of the clip in it's normal ratio on top.

10. Default

Post edited
    Last edited by The Nightingale; 12-30-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast