Thread: live feed from camcorder to computer screen?

Default live feed from camcorder to computer screen?

Is this possible? To feed the camcorder to a computer screen (preferably) or a tv so you can have a bigger picture of what you're recording? If so, could anyone point in the right direction?

Thanks much!

Yes, it's possible. It depends on the connections on your camera model...

I'm using a Sony XR520v, and I'd like to connect it to a dual quad core G5 mac pro.

Quote Originally Posted by foxdog175 View Post
    I'm using a Sony XR520v, and I'd like to connect it to a dual quad core G5 mac pro.
    That camera has a full set of connectors, so you shouldn't have any trouble! (Composite, Component, HDMI and USB)
    You just need a cable to connect to your mac thingy and you should be away!

I dont really know the differences between composite, component, or hdmi. Which cable would i typically use for a live feed to a computer? On the computer, what would it plug into? I assume I'd need an adapter from one of those 3 connectors to a specific connector on my computer?

Do you not have a USB port on your Mac??

Yes, I have usb 2.0 ports on it. The only option I'm given when I connect my camera to my computer is to import video - I can't find a way to display a live feed.

When I connect the camera and open its display, I'm given 4 options on the camera (usb hard drive connect, usb memory card connect, disc burn, and download music). Hard drive connect is what i use to import video, since I store everything on the hard drive.

The only time iMovie (adobe premiere doesn't recognize cameras connected via usb) detects the camera is if it's connected via the hard drive. However, iMovie only gives me the option to import video...it doesn't display a live feed.

Would Adobe Premiere give a live feed some way?

There is some info on connecting Macs to hdmi here MacBook owners rejoice: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter soon | MacYourself

Google is amazing!!

9. Default

If your `puter does not allow you to monitor a live feed then you will have to use either the composite/S-Video outputs on the camera and connect up to a TV monitor. Refer to the camera`s instruction manual for interpretation.
    If you still want to monitor your footage on a computer screen then you can go to the expense of buying something like this.

Welcome to CYPRESS TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD.