Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Low Light performance camera max 800 euros

Default Best Low Light performance camera max 800 euros

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on the forums here, but I saw the replys on the questions about the different camera problems.
    Well I dunno what is the best camera to choose.
    My first priority is to have the best Low Light Performance, less noise etc.
    I had a Sony once, but it was horrible.
    I like the Canon, the build and the looks of it, and according to youtube Canon has a very nice set of cameras.
    Regardless I dont find any info about the Panasonic and its low light performance, the big feature on this camera is the 3CMOS chip which is obviously better than 1 CMOS.
    Does anybody know (regardless of the price) which is the best camera to choose.
    Max price I want to pay is 800 euros so maybe you guys have better ideas than

Panasonic HDC-SD200

Canon Legria HF-S100 and what about the Canon legria HF 200 compared to the HF-S100

Please let me know
    Last edited by dannycnl; 12-27-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Blog Entries

All the camcorders at your price range (below 1000) will look crap in low light.

Having said that, a rule of thumb is the bigger the chip, the better the low light performance. A small chip with loads of pixels is the worst combination.

The Canon range is known to have good low-light performance but, if we're honest, the actual difference is minimal. If you go onto the Canon website to can do a side-by-side comparison with the three camcorders you mentioned.

Canon UK - Compare Products
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 12-27-2009 at 11:26 AM.

I have checked some samples of camcorders, I found a lot of reviews, and a list of the best camcorder thats available now.
    And thats the Sony HDR XR520V it looks amazing!
    Only thing I dont understand is why you can store only 10 hours on 240GB when you can store 50 hours on 80GB with the HDR-XR500V.
    Same cameras only less storage space regarding HDD Space.

Hi,

I've got a xr520ve and the low light performance is impressive.

The xr500e has a 120GB hdd and can store upto 50 hours. The xr520ve has a 240GB hdd and can store upto 101 hours.

HTH.

Do you know if there are any samples online without any compression?
    Since the Sony is only 16MBps bitrate isnt this a little low compared to the Canons which has 24/25

Quote Originally Posted by dannycnl View Post
    Do you know if there are any samples online without any compression?
    Since the Sony is only 16MBps bitrate isnt this a little low compared to the Canons which has 24/25
    You'll have to do a search on google, the file format is .mts or .m2ts if that is of any help.

As for the bit rate, I'm not in a position to answer really as I have not seen any raw footage from the cannon. But from reviews I've read, the sony/cannon/JVC cameras all have comparable picture quality, with the sony standing out for it's low light ability.

I really love the Canon HFS10 love the big lens etc, bit the desing isnt everything:P
    Thanks for your reply tough

Quote Originally Posted by dannycnl View Post
    I really love the Canon HFS10 love the big lens etc, bit the desing isnt everything:P
    Thanks for your reply tough
    Go for it and have fun

I dont think it is smart to just buy the camera for the big lens and design.
    Since the sony you have recommended is much better in Low Light Performance, and thats worth a lot for me...

absolutley not - but it helps!

here's demo vid for a low light xr520

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast