Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I.....?

Default How do I.....?

I'm just wondering, how do i connect my video player to my computer to upload video, bearing in mind my computer has no video input and is an IMac (apple for those who don't know) G5, and obviously has firewire - just asking because i'm wondering whether i need something to convert it from an analogue to a digital signal?
    Ozzyj

passthrough on your DVcam?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Default Erm is there any one of those that'll do

are there any of those that'll do on their own? or am i stuck to using all of them? or am i just being really stupid?
    Ozzyj

sorry, all the crap below the line is my pc, and related AV equipment.

Do you have a DV camera?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

Default No

I do not have a dv cam, and thats the problem....that just confused me you having all that "crap below the line". O well. The only cam I do have is a rubbish analogue cam, with no method of connecting it to my computer, though I do have access through uni to a dv cam deck, I would like to be able to do it without though, which is my main worry.
    Ozzyj

well, you'll be needing some sort of external capture/adc device. You've got firewire, so take a google about and see what firewire capture devices are available.
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

Default Re: How do I.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyj
    I'm just wondering, how do i connect my video player to my computer to upload video, bearing in mind my computer has no video input and is an IMac (apple for those who don't know) G5, and obviously has firewire - just asking because i'm wondering whether i need something to convert it from an analogue to a digital signal?
    If you're a total total beginner at video editing, then the answers to your questions are going to be about 9658654566536 words, and not really somethign that an be summed up in a few sentences.

Maybe try here first: http://desktopvideo.about.com/od/edi...etgoing_RO.htm ?

Some of the stuff can be a bit too basic, but if you are a total beginner, it's worth a read

Default Again

I'm not a TOTAL beginner, but I am at the hardware. I have experience of filming and editing etc, and I have the right software, which i can use. All I want is a CHEAP and EASY way of uploading video from a vhs tape onto my computer, rather than by going through all the fuss of re-filming, or borrowing equipment from uni. I'm trying to make a promotional film for my business, which doesn't have any money to spend on making the promotional film; that we can then sell through the medium of dvd. All I want to know is a cheap and easy method of transferring VHS to my Apple IMac G5 computer. Sorry, don't mean to sound impatient, but I'm stressed at the moment as I have just driven a smoke-filled land rover over twenty miles to the nearest garage, which kind of has that effect on most people. :cry: [/u]
    Ozzyj

It's buy or borrow, i'm afraid. You don't have the facility to get analogue video into that machine. You either need to borrow or buy: a DV cam with passthrough, or a capture device that will handle analogue-digital-firewire.
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

Default Bugger

Can you think of any cheap ones?
    :cry:
    Ozzyj

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast