Thread: Editing AVCHD

1. Default Editing AVCHD

Hello and Merry Christmas! I'm editing some 1080i footage a friend shot... I think it was a Canon HC10. I'm using Adobe Premiere CS4. The problem is, I don't know what settings to use to output the finished video.

If I use 1080i Premiere only lets me use 25fps and motion seems flickery, especially with slow horizontal pans. If I use 1080p 25ps I get the same.

Am I correct in thinking that 1080i is 50fps? I ask this because if I output in 1080p 50fps the video looks fine with smooth movement. Will creating a 50fps video cause me problems if I ever want to encode it to a SD DVD or even a Blu Ray disk?

When I import the clip into Premiere it informs me in the project assets pallete that it's 25fps.. see below.

And when I export the clip as 1080i it sets the frame rate to 25fps. See below

When I use this setting however, the slow pan movements are still flickery.

The only way I can get smooth movement is to output as 1080p 50fps.

Is the raw AVCHD footage 25 or 50fps?

Help !

2. Default

No one? :(

The 1080 relates to the number of lines in the picture. The fps is the number of times pers second the picture is recorded. There is no real relationship you can (given the right camera) record 1018i at 50fps or 48fps or 25fps or 22fps or other speeds. You can also records 1080p at these different speeds.

The final destination of the movie is perhaps relevant to the choice of frame rate. If you are going to burn it to a SD DVD this will playback at the UK standard PAL TV rate of 25fps OR this will be different if you are in the USA which has a different standard NTSC of 30fps so you would render the footage at that rate.

One thing to realise is that looking at the footage on a computer monitor will be different that when you view it on a TV screen.

Hope this helps.

4. Default

I think the problem is encoding it at a different frame rate from the source material. The source material plays beautifully smooth, but if I encode at 25fps, slow pans are flickery... even if viewed on a TV, yet the original AVCHD footage is smooth on a TV as well as the computer. Which is weird, as the TV will be playing the 50fps footage at 25fps... yet it still doesn't flicker.

So what does the 50i stand for in the description in Premiere? For 1080i anamorphic, which the camera is, it lists it as 1080i25 (50i).

Is it 25fps, or 50fps it shoots at? Seeing as I can only replicate the smoothness I see in the original AVCHD footage is to encode it at 50fps, I'm assuming the cam records at 50fps.

As there a way of encoding it at 25fps without the flicker? I mean, PAL TV is 25fps, but slow pans on TV don't flicker... I can only surmise it's when I encode the 50fps footage as 25fps that it drops every second frame, hence the flicker.

It's very annoying.

When you say what does the 50i stand for do you mean the i, if so the i stands for interlaced as apposed to the p which stands for progressive. This is the way the image is displayed on the screen or recorded by the camera. In a nutshell an interlaced image is shown by flashing the odd lines and then even lines of the image and progressive is showing the whole image at one time.

I would recommend Googling these terms for a better explanation.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 12-28-2009 at 12:48 AM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    When you say what does the 50i stand for do you mean the i, if so the i stands for interlaced as apposed to the p which stands for progressive. This is the way the image is displayed on the screen or recorded by the camera. In a nutshell an interlaced image is shown by flashing the odd lines and then even lines of the image and progressive is showing the whole image at one time.

I would recommend Googling these terms for a better explanation.

Thanks for replying, but that's not what I was asking. I appreciate i stands for interlace... I wanted to know if it's 25 or 50fps because the correct setting for my camera in Premiere is 1080i25 (50i). So we have a 25 and a 50.. which refers to the fps?.. does it matter? How come the output flickers upon movement scenes at 25, and not at 50? Also.. when I see stuff that was SHOT at 25fps on a TV.. it DOESN'T flicker... just the stuff shot on my 1080i camera, and only when output at 25fps.. not 50. Am I right in thinking it IS 50fps, and when I output at 25 it's dropping every second frame? If so... how do I stop the flicker?

Also... is there a way of encoding it at 25fps that doesn't result in flickery movement?

it refreshes each frame 50 times a second... but every second line due to being interlaced... so does that make it 50fps, or 25?

LOL... my head hurts Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by Pookeyhead; 12-28-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pookeyhead View Post
    Am I right in thinking it IS 50fps, and when I output at 25 it's dropping every second frame? If so... how do I stop the flicker?

Also... is there a way of encoding it at 25fps that doesn't result in flickery movement?

LOL... my head hurts Thanks for your patience.
    Hi there - try adjusting the field order (box in the second screen, bottom right) to lower (or progressive).

IIRC this is related to the order in which the interlaced images are alternativley displayed on screen in each frame. If this is set incorectly it will produce a kind of one step back two forward type of flicker for each frame.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bucketmonster View Post
    Hi there - try adjusting the field order (box in the second screen, bottom right) to lower (or progressive).

IIRC this is related to the order in which the interlaced images are alternativley displayed on screen in each frame. If this is set incorectly it will produce a kind of one step back two forward type of flicker for each frame.

Thanks.... will try this and report back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pookeyhead View Post
    Hello and Merry Christmas! I'm editing some 1080i footage a friend shot... I think it was a Canon HC10. I'm using Adobe Premiere CS4. The problem is, I don't know what settings to use to output the finished video.

If I use 1080i Premiere only lets me use 25fps and motion seems flickery, especially with slow horizontal pans. If I use 1080p 25ps I get the same.

Am I correct in thinking that 1080i is 50fps? I ask this because if I output in 1080p 50fps the video looks fine with smooth movement. Will creating a 50fps video cause me problems if I ever want to encode it to a SD DVD or even a Blu Ray disk?

When I import the clip into Premiere it informs me in the project assets pallete that it's 25fps.. see below.

And when I export the clip as 1080i it sets the frame rate to 25fps. See below

When I use this setting however, the slow pan movements are still flickery.

The only way I can get smooth movement is to output as 1080p 50fps.

Is the raw AVCHD footage 25 or 50fps?

Help !
    I see you are using mpeg2 for the out put at 1440x1080 why not use the h264 setting, this way you will be keeping to the same codec and you will find the quality is higher for the bit-rate you are using, it should be:-

Codec MainConcept H264 Video.

As long as you keep to 25fps upper field first "this indicates it's interlaced" you are doing it at the same setting as your MTS file so it should be fine.

Bryan
    Last edited by wandering-free; 12-28-2009 at 10:39 PM.

10. Default

I usually use h264.. I was just trying everything when I did those screen grabs.

It is working fine now Upper first, 25 interlaced h264 and it plays fine.. it encodes faster too!

Thanks for your help people