Thread: What Camcorder should I get? Argh!

Exclamation What Camcorder should I get? Argh!

Hey,

I'm looking for a new camcorder to shoot some short films. Obviously, I want good quality and HD, but for an affordable price. I came across the Panasonic H81 which seemed great until I saw it shoots in MPEG2. I've read that MPEG2 is a pain to edit. (at least I think it's MPEG2)?

HERE is a link to details on the camcorder. It says the video format is HDD & SD Memory Card. I am so confused! I want this camcorder, but I want one that's footage can easily be transferred onto a pc for editing.

Can someone recommend me a camcorder which will easily work with editing programs. I'm thinking along the lines of iMovie or Windows Movie Maker to start off with. I will save up for Vegas or Final Cut when I get around to it. However, I do own a handycam which uses 8mm disks and i've got to the point of abandoning it because it's useless. It doesn't let me transfer to my pc let alone edit it on a program.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by gorepit; 12-25-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorepit View Post
    Hey,

I'm looking for a new camcorder to shoot some short films. Obviously, I want good quality and HD, but for an affordable price. I came across the Panasonic H81 which seemed great until I saw it shoots in MPEG2. I've read that MPEG2 is a pain to edit. (at least I think it's MPEG2)?

HERE is a link to details on the camcorder. It says the video format is HDD & SD Memory Card. I am so confused! I want this camcorder, but I want one that's footage can easily be transferred onto a pc for editing.

Can someone recommend me a camcorder which will easily work with editing programs. I'm thinking along the lines of iMovie or Windows Movie Maker to start off with. I will save up for Vegas or Final Cut when I get around to it. However, I do own a handycam which uses 8mm disks and i've got to the point of abandoning it because it's useless. It doesn't let me transfer to my pc let alone edit it on a program.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Hi gorepit,

I'm answering this as I've recently upgraded from an old DV camera to a high def one and came across may of the issues you have raised.

Firstly, the advert which describes the video format as HDD/SD - I think is a mistake. HDD/SD would probably be refering to the storage medium (hard disk drive & memory card). It looks like a standard def camera to me.

As for buying a high def camera, most consumer high def camcorders are AVCHD (although there is HDV, a tape format also, check the sticky at the top of the forum). They use a varity of storage media, usually hard disk or memory card, and video can easily be transfered to the PC via firewire or USB.

The AVCHD format is a mpeg 4 which uses .mts or .m2ts file extension. This is a real pain to edit and requires a poweful PC. I found previewing in sony vegas pro 64bit near enough impossable on my laptop (t2900 dual core intel @ 2.53 ghz with 4 GB or ram).

One workable solution I found though was to use a script called proxystream (you can download it for free and run it within sony vegas), which effectivley makes a copy of your .m2ts files to something which is easily editable (.avi for example), which you use to edit. Then just before rendering, you can press a button and it switches all the .avi media in your repository to their .m2ts counter part, so the finished product is in HD!

I would imagine this type of facility would be available with other editors too.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Last edited by bucketmonster; 12-28-2009 at 04:43 PM.