Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Videos rendered by Sony Vegas appear different to the preview

Default Videos rendered by Sony Vegas appear different to the preview

Hello all,

This is my first post - been hunting google for the answer but I can't find it :(

Issue: Preview window [Set to Best/Full] is somewhat inaccurate to what has been rendered/ my rendering is wrong somewhere.

I have items like text/over layed imaged/chromakeyed/cut stuff etc. These are all placed in certain points where if they are but a milimetre out the effect would be wrong.

When rendered, text boxes that preview window says span the length don't after rendering.

Zoom levels of videos change, text moves around also loosing the desired effect that seems to look OK in preview but not in

Expectation: Preview window when set to best, to show exactly what my video will look like after rendering, otherwise what on earth is the point. I might as well not bother editing if Vegas will decide for itself where it wants to position my text [and other said items].

Many thanks!

Ooh - it's Christmas eve already.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Old Sony Vegas Pro 8.

Ok this must really piss you off. I don't know what can be causing this. Does it happen if you render in different formats.

I don't know if this would make a difference but have you got your pixel ratio set wrong, just a thought. Luckily there are people in this forum who are much more expert than me with Vegas, I hope they can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Ok this must really piss you off. I don't know what can be causing this. Does it happen if you render in different formats.

I don't know if this would make a difference but have you got your pixel ratio set wrong, just a thought. Luckily there are people in this forum who are much more expert than me with Vegas, I hope they can help.

Tried
    - Square

Other aspect ratios not available in WMV and when I try other formats it says "this codec does not support these settings"

It's annoying because I don't frikkin care what pixel ratio it wants to render at. Just that what it's showing me in preview is the same as what I'm going to be uploading online.

It's horrendously obvious when I've made a text bar that seems to span the 1280 length of the video and after rendering it shrinks leaving to about 1100, leaving gaps either side.

I'm not surprised no one knows the answer to this as nothing shows up on google. [though I'm probably not searching the correct terms]

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

Tried
    - Square

Other aspect ratios not available in WMV and when I try other formats it says "this codec does not support these settings"

It's annoying because I don't frikkin care what pixel ratio it wants to render at. Just that what it's showing me in preview is the same as what I'm going to be uploading online.

It's horrendously obvious when I've made a text bar that seems to span the 1280 length of the video and after rendering it shrinks leaving to about 1100, leaving gaps either side.

I'm not surprised no one knows the answer to this as nothing shows up on google. [though I'm probably not searching the correct terms]

edit:

I've managed to find two work arounds so far.

One setting produces a square video but inside is my video too. It's 600 some width (not 1280) and the test 3 second clip is 50mb!!

Another way was to render the video in the pixel amount that the preview shows. 781x483 was optimum [which vegas kept changing to 784x484] and create my own black bars to get rid of the clips that were over spilling. [Think preview was oddly at 1280x792 -then it compressed to 1280x720 which squashed everything. Meh, I don't know these things]

It'll have to do for now. I just wish my preview window knew that the project was set at 1280x720 and displayed accordingly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JayMo View Post
    That's crazy. Can you posts a screen grab of exactly this point showing timeline and preview window and maybe another showing the text overlay window - infact anything that may be useful. And one of the resulting rendered image?

(OR create very small project demonstrating this and email it to me along with the media - if you want to do this I'll PM you my address)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMo View Post
    [/QUOTE]

Or maybe no-one else is experienceing this problem. People might not notice a few pixels here and there but the 8% difference you describe would be a product killer.
    Tim

I believe I am experiencing the very same problem as described here.

I made one video with various bits of text and basic objects interspersed throughout to highlight features I thought would enhance the viewers understanding of situations within the video however what was positioned correctly in the preview screen would once rendered appear an inch away in play back eventually I just removed all extranous parts from the film before releasing it.

My current project is suffering from the exact same problem. All I want is for what is displayed in the preview window to be what is displayed in the actual video once rendered. Is that to much to ask?

I'm using Vegas 9.0

Blog Entries

My offer to JaMo above is extended to you.
    Tim

It seems I have two slightly different issues with the same type of result though I think the first one would be fairly simple to fix. I used the screen capture icon from the preview window to save a screen shot which I have then used in the video i.e. to make the video pause whilst I introduce the character in the shot (is there a better way of doing this?) however whilst it appears the same size in the preview window as the rest of the video you can see in the timeline that it is a different shape and during play back the video gets smaller.

Here is the first issue from the Vegas point of view. I have highlighted the difference in size for the screencap in red. You can see the normal video size in the preview window.

This is a screenshot from normal playback just before the point I'm concerned about so that you can see it in normal size.

Here is the video at the same point as it is in the Vegas screenshot but as you can see comparred to the normal screenshot this one has compressed.

The second issue is the one thats more annoying. The preview window shows the video in a nice letter box format where I can stick the name of whoever is currently on screen see below.

However in playback something weird happens and the text is moved down so that it intrudes onto the video itself, see below.

Whilst the degree is not as bad as it was in my last project it's still incredibly frustrating.

Unfortunatly I cant show you the last one since I deleted all the files to make way for the new one and as I said the version I released had no text or object overlays in the end.

Is there anything else I can show you that will be of use?

Stabbing i the dark here, I notice the frame size is 720x576 @29fps, it should be 25fps for UK (PAL) is it wide-screen? if so the preview screen looks wrong, check in project properties.

the other is on the render menu there is an option on the bottom left that say (I think) do not letter box, see if that makes any difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast