Thread: Importing Stills and Pictures What Resolution?

Default Importing Stills and Pictures What Resolution?

Using Photoshop 7 I want to crop several photos to use as backgrounds. OK, I know that I should crop to 768 x 576 (pal standard) or 1024 x 576 (pal widescreen) to avoid any black edges but does it matter what resolution I use? 72dpi seems to be the standard for PC monitors which seems awfully low ........or am I missing something here?

H
    Athlon XP2000, 750 mb, 2nd hard drive on order (200gb), Pinnacle DV500 DVD, Adobe Premier 6.5 and lots of other sofware that came with the Pinnacle board.

Panasonic NV-GS400

The resolution is irrelevant on a screen. the DPI is about the relation between the image size in pixels and the actual size in CM on a printed page.

So it doesn't matter, as long as the resolution is a standarad screen one.

Good question. I'm not convinced it really matters but to be sure, why not export a still from your movie to whatever format you like and open it in Photoshop and check what dpi it is.

Quote Originally Posted by millsy
    Good question. I'm not convinced it really matters but to be sure, why not export a still from your movie to whatever format you like and open it in Photoshop and check what dpi it is.
    Fine idea............

yes, its 72 dpi and yes I understand about the relationship between dpi and printed size but the filesize would be dramatically bigger at at a higher resolution. (not that this would matter to Premier, I suspect)

Thanks

H
    Athlon XP2000, 750 mb, 2nd hard drive on order (200gb), Pinnacle DV500 DVD, Adobe Premier 6.5 and lots of other sofware that came with the Pinnacle board.

Panasonic NV-GS400

Blog Entries

Mike is correct. It's the resolution counts resolution, and this needs to be set to the exact dimensions of your project for it to fill the screeb - any smaller and you will get black areas. Notice if you export a frame, the image dimensions are those of your project.

One note about importing stills to a widescreen project - you have to import an "anamorphic" still, so that it is a still with full screen dimensions but widescreen aspect ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    One note about importing stills to a widescreen project - you have to import an "anamorphic" still, so that it is a still with full screen dimensions but widescreen aspect ratio.
    Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!! The nightmares will now return :cry:

The hours I've lost trying to coordinate widescreen footage with still pictures and trying to sort out the pixel aspect ratios...... Thank goodness for 'Interpret as....' menu options is all I can say.