Thread: Digitizing HDV

1. Default Digitizing HDV

Question, I recently received some miniDVs in HDV format. I need to get them digitized and I am trying to decide if I should pay for a company to do it or if I should buy a cheap HDV camcorder to digitize it?

Any ideas?

Hi, It all depends on what you want to do with the digitized videos, if you intend to stay with the HD resolution and edit the resulting files you need a fast computer with firewire and a program that can edit them, on the other hand if you only need a standard DVD then it might be better to hire a camera with SVHS out and capture with a DVD recorder.

Bryan

3. Default

Yeah I will be editing in FCP. I just have never worked with HD before and I am trying to figure out if there are any differences.

The output will be in HD.

Hi, A friend uses FCP and has no problems with editing it, he has a 2.2GHz dual core and finds it works fine, one of the problems he faces in New Zealand is that they are not stocking the tapes any more so before you buy a camera it would be worth checking on how long the HDV format is going to be continued.

Bryan

5. Default

Yeah the editing is no problem it is the getting the tapes into my system that I have been struggling with. That is so interesting about them not carrying the tapes anymore. I wonder what is replacing it?

Flash memory seems to be the in thing at the moment the Canon HF10 that I use has a built in 16GB memory as well as taking a SDHC memory card up to 32GB, it uses the new AVCHD h264 encoding to compress the video at 1920x1080i it's very efficient but more difficult to edit with, I have a 3GHz dual core and it slows it to a snails pace if I want to do any color correction or multy camera editing, I recently did a video using 2 cameras at 1440x1080i resolution and a third video track of various formats jpg and mpeg2 videos with no color corrections at all, and it took it 12 hours to encode a two and a quarter hour DVD. I'd have still be waiting if I used any color correction.

From what I've read FCP re-encodes AVCHD to an intermediate format that is easier to edit.

Bryan
    Last edited by wandering-free; 12-23-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added some more