Thread: New to AVCHD - Which settings to use

Default New to AVCHD - Which settings to use

Hi,

I've been editing DV for quite a few years and recently borrowed a Hi-Def cam to make a short film, but I've only a limited knowledge of AVCHD.

I use Sony Vegas Pro for editing which imports my AVCHD files fine, but I'm not sure which settings to use for best results. The camera is a Canon HG10 and I'm currently using High Quality mode (9 Mbps) (the others are ultra HQ and SD) so I assume this is some form of HD video but I can't find out the resolution from the video file in windows.

Vegas offers many "new project" settings, but only limited export options using the AVI file formats (as shown in the attached screeshot). Sorry for the amateurish tone of this message but I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice / pointers!

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm sure you know if you right click on the clip when it's on the time line you can select it's properties. If this isn't enough info for you you could use G-Spot.

Quote Originally Posted by RiW View Post
    Hi,

I've been editing DV for quite a few years and recently borrowed a Hi-Def cam to make a short film, but I've only a limited knowledge of AVCHD.

I use Sony Vegas Pro for editing which imports my AVCHD files fine, but I'm not sure which settings to use for best results. The camera is a Canon HG10 and I'm currently using High Quality mode (9 Mbps) (the others are ultra HQ and SD) so I assume this is some form of HD video but I can't find out the resolution from the video file in windows.

Vegas offers many "new project" settings, but only limited export options using the AVI file formats (as shown in the attached screeshot). Sorry for the amateurish tone of this message but I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice / pointers!

Cheers!
    Hi I think you will find it is 1440x1080, I have the Canon HF10 and if I drop the bit-rate from it's highest setting it drops back to 1440x1080.

I would always use the highest bit-rate possible otherwise you will find any movement causes the picture to go soft, the AVCHD that Canon use is high profile and some of the Vegas programs didn't like it at the higher bit-rates, I think that only applied when the cameras first came out since then they have relaxed there restrictions on High profile as so many of the new HD cameras use it now.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm sure you know if you right click on the clip when it's on the time line you can select it's properties. If this isn't enough info for you you could use G-Spot.
    Ah yes, how embarassing! Cheers for that! I just got confused since Windows didn't want to give me any info!

Hey, we all have these moments.

Merry Christmas

Don't blame Windows!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If this isn't enough info for you you could use G-Spot.
    I've been trying to find that for years!

hmm... I would ask a woman.