Thread: Continuity Errors

Default Continuity Errors

Imagen my disappointment last night. I settled down to watch one of my top ten movies of all time Blade Runner. After about an hour, when our hero was having a drink with his loverly robot lady friend, after surviving an arse kicking by a pissed off robot, I was impressed that the director had a closeup of blood from Deckard's injured mouth go into the drink. This left the glass half full. BUT OH NO ! The next shot, an over the shoulder shot, showed Deckard's glass full.

Ahhhh..... I really need to get out more.

Any one else have this kind of experience with a movie they really love?

maybe Rachel (just off camera) topped it up

i recently bought it on bluray .... looks stunning

Yes, it's a great movie. I can't believe I'm getting so anal about these things.

Blog Entries

It's important NEVER to find out about bloopers in your favorite films. Otherwise I find that I'm waiting for the mistake and looking for it, rather than enjoying the film. Not only bloopers though...

There's a phrase "suspension of disbelief" which refers to the fact that you often have to overlook something (usually a dodgy plot-twist) to enjoy a film. There's also a writers' rule that a film can only have one genuine coincidence, otherwise you get the so called "Poseidon Effect". I find that I'm no longer able to accept coincidences readily and often find that I'm screaming "he would never do that in real life!" at the screen.

The "Poseidon Effect" is from the film "The Poseidon Adventure" where, if in reel one, one of the guests reveals during dinner that she was a former tightrope walker, you know that she will be called upon to walk a wire later in the film.

But, yup, I really don't want to know about bloopers in my favorite films.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    There's a phrase "suspension of disbelief" which refers to the fact that you often have to overlook something (usually a dodgy plot-twist) to enjoy a film.
    This is like every Dr Who there has ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    The "Poseidon Effect" is from the film "The Poseidon Adventure" where, if in reel one, one of the guests reveals during dinner that she was a former tightrope walker, you know that she will be called upon to walk a wire later in the film.
    This is similar to the old Star Trek where the guy who "beams down" to the planet who doesn't have a speaking part is always killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This is similar to the old Star Trek where the guy who "beams down" to the planet who doesn't have a speaking part is always killed.
    Yes, but he MUST be wearing a RED SHIRT!

That's true. lol

I recall when watching Highlander for the very first time I noticed the wires hold Chris Lambert in the air after duffing up the Kurgan. My eyes have been drawn to those wires on every single subsequent viewing. Shame.

Also, and I'm not si sure this is a continuity error or maybe just somethgin I missed but in another Ridley Scott movie, the best one, Alien, if the crew could see the flashing dot and watch the Alien creep up on Dallas in the air ducts how come they never knew where the damn thing was at any other time?

But the biggest continuity error I've probably ever seen is in the re-released version of 'Dances with Wolves'. Kevin Costner seems to have blue skin in most scenes and they misspelt the movie title as 'Avatar'.

Quote Originally Posted by alan mills View Post
    but the biggest continuity error i've probably ever seen is in the re-released version of 'dances with wolves'. Kevin costner seems to have blue skin in most scenes and they misspelt the movie title as 'avatar'.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    But the biggest continuity error I've probably ever seen is in the re-released version of 'Dances with Wolves'. Kevin Costner seems to have blue skin in most scenes and they misspelt the movie title as 'Avatar'.
    We just got back from Watching Avatar. I told Mrs. Digger (who has seen 'Dances with Wolves') about your comment. She agrees!

Great computer generated stuff, but a lackluster 'formula' plot and quite predictable. It was, however, a 'technical' spectacular. Best CGI I've ever seen. But the 3D effects were less awesome than the opening 3D tech promo before the show. Actually, I've seen much better 3D in the IMAX shorts at the Kuwait Science Center and the remake of "Journey to the Center of the Earth."
    (3D glasses)