Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange behaviour when importing JPG still-photo

Default Strange behaviour when importing JPG still-photo

Hi everyone at CreativeCOW.net
    I've just got Sony Vegas 9 using the December voucher (upgrading to Vegas 9 for only $149)
    Then I opened my old summer holiday video, created in Vegas 8, and alot of the JPG files were red, but only some of them were offline.
    Also, if I open another of my old projects, where I used some AVI files rendered in 3DS Max, then it doesn't show up either!

So... I tried creating a new project i Vegas 9, imported some of my holiday pictures, and same thing happened.
    Please look at theese pictures:

PS.: I'm using Sony Vegas 9 64-bit on my Intel i5 machine, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Best Regards
    Thomas Jespersen
    Last edited by tkj; 12-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Found the same thing myself. Apparently it's because Vista/Win 7 are big memory hogs. If you lower your RAM for Vegas to 1024 it should get better. How much RAM has your system got?

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Found the same thing myself. Apparently it's because Vista/Win 7 are big memory hogs. If you lower your RAM for Vegas to 1024 it should get better. How much RAM has your system got?
    My system has got 4GB of ram, and I've set Vegas to be able to use 2048MB

Blog Entries

If you lower your RAM for Vegas to 1024 it should get better.
    Do you mean that, Archie, or do you mean lower the amount available in Vegas for RAM preview? 'Scuse my ignorance.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Do you mean that, Archie, or do you mean lower the amount available in Vegas for RAM preview? 'Scuse my ignorance.
    Look at the preferences image at the top.
    It says "Dynamic RAM Preview max (MB): 2048" - and that's what I've set it to!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tkj View Post
    Look at the preferences image at the top.
    It says "Dynamic RAM Preview max (MB): 2048" - and that's what I've set it to!
    Yes, I understand that. What I was asking Archie is if that is what he means or does he actually mean what he says which is "lower your RAM for Vegas" - eg limit the amount of RAM that Vegas can use as distinct from limiting the amount of RAM which Vegas can use for previewing.

They're two different things.

Given that you think they are one and the same, have you actually tried what Archie suggested - lowering (what you anderstand to be the) amount of RAM available for previewing. If not, why not?
    Tim

Yes, you're right Tim...should have added "RAM preview". Over at the Sony forums, they reckon Vista/Win 7 needs 12 gig for 9c 64bit to work properly! Mine has 8gig, which I thought would be more than enough. Doooohhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Yes, I understand that. What I was asking Archie is if that is what he means or does he actually mean what he says which is "lower your RAM for Vegas" - eg limit the amount of RAM that Vegas can use as distinct from limiting the amount of RAM which Vegas can use for previewing.

They're two different things.

Given that you think they are one and the same, have you actually tried what Archie suggested - lowering (what you anderstand to be the) amount of RAM available for previewing. If not, why not?
    Hmm.. Now I closed Vegas 9, and opened it again, and my project still showed up with the red things some places, but if I preview the movie, then I can watch everything, which I couldn't before (some places, even where it wasn't red, it just showed up black in the preview screen)
    Now when I tried adding more photoes, I could succesfully do that... But! When I start to use the trimmer, then the problem occours, and then some of the videos aren't showing up in the preview windows. There is not any changes in the red things!
    I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell
    If not, please say so, and I will record a video!

So Archie, what you are trying to tell is, that 4GB is definitely not enough?

Blog Entries

Yes, you're right Tim...should have added "RAM preview". Over at the Sony forums, they reckon Vista/Win 7 needs 12 gig for 9c 64bit to work properly! Mine has 8gig, which I thought would be more than enough. Doooohhhhhh!
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but this is very interesting to me as I'm on the brink of upgrading to 64bit and looking at socket 1152 (?) i7 (or an i5) These boards support dual channel memory which, if you want 12GB means at least 2 sticks of 4GB RAM which, at the moment is plenty of dosh. (6 sticks of 2GB works out much cheaper).
    I have a friend who is running Vegas 9 64bit on a i7 920 with 12GB. He's been monitoring memory usage in W7 and says he's never seen Vegas take more than 6GB (and is a bit miffed that he went for 12GB)
    Who to believe?
    Maybe I'll trundle along on good old 32bit for a while longer....
    Tim

I don't think it's just a case of what Vegas snaffles up Tim, but also the OS. If that's claiming priority, then Vegas is left gasping a bit.

Do a search for this over on the Sony forums. Heres one to get you started:
    Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

I'll be upgrading my system to 12 gig of RAM in the new year. Determined to get 9c 64bit running reliably. Have you tried reducing the RAM preview to 1024?
    Last edited by Archie; 12-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast