Thread: Camcorder that plays Mini DV cassettes available?

Default Camcorder that plays Mini DV cassettes available?

Does anyone know where I can still buy a camcorder that plays Mini DV cassettes? I'm talking here about a basic model rather than the high-end professional jobs. I know this type of camcorder is now a bit old-fashioned but the problem is that I have 25 hours worth of tapes that I didn't get around to putting on DVD or the PC. My camcorder has irreparably broken down, so I'm rather stuck. I've trawled all the major high street shops and on-line sites but none sells this type of camcorder anymore. I know there are shops that will transfer from tape to DVD but with 25 tapes that will end up costing me more than I would expect a camcorder to cost. I'm hoping to buy a new one rather than second hand so I can be confident the tape heads are in good condition.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

South Florida

Mini DV was really a flash in the pan. I looked around in my Costco the other day and they are not selling any Mini DV camcorders. Our JVC broke; it wouldn't relinquish the tape that was then in the camera. Before that the tape heads were getting dirty and I had to buy a cleaning cassette for it. Luckily I have only 5 Mini DV tapes to contend with. You would be just as well to land a used one on ebay use it and sell it again.

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rivieraranch View Post
    Mini DV was really a flash in the pan....
    Rubbish! - And Costco isn't exactly a retailer I would go to if I was looking for a camera either.

Mini DV is still a widely available and useful format. No rubbishy compression - and no hard drive packing up with the slightest shock either.

Plenty available new, on ebay and down your local proper camera store.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Can only echo what Andy says - on both counts. A format that was the "standard" for consumer digital camcorders for more than 10 years and which is still standard for non-HD "prosumer" cameras is hardly flash in the pan.

And just type "Mini dv camcorder" into Google and you'll find loads. Try the JVC GR D820 127.77 from Argos. Hardly a Rolls-Royce model, (though I'm sure it's every bit as good as my first cam which I still use) but that's not really what you're after.

Thanks for your replies. I had checked out some on the Argos site but they were out of stock on-line and at my 4 nearest stores. I'm just surprised there aren't more people in the same boat as me - there must be a lot of people still using cassettes and not everyone backs up immediately.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
    I'm hoping to buy a new one rather than second hand so I can be confident the tape heads are in good condition.
    I wouldn't be overly concerned with that; I would say that the majority of people hardly use their camcorder. However, a real concern would be if you've recorded in LP. If you have, i recommend buying the same 'make' of camera as there are known compatability issues on LP recorded tapes.

I wouldn't say that Mini DV was a flash in the pan. I bought my first in 1999(ish) and they only went out of favour this year. Over ten years is an age in the fast moving tech age!