Thread: Upscaling DVD player

Blog Entries

Default Upscaling DVD player

General Ignorance time.
    My DVD player is showing signs of going on the blink and I'm thinking of replacing it with a cheap upscaling player.
    Looking at the Toshiba SD-390 in Sainsburys (!) its says it "upscales to 720p, 1080i and 1080p (requires 1080p capable TV)"

My question is fundamentally what do the words in brackets refer to - all the upscaling business aor JUST the 1080p.

The reason I ask is my TV does 1080i and 720p and I (obviously) want to upscale to either of these. Will it work, or do I require a 1080p TV to use ANY of the upscale functions?

I've searched reviews and looke for a manual on-line to no avail.

TIA
    Tim

Blog Entries

The bracket bit means that your TV must support 1080p for that output format to work. It will upscale to, and play on your TV, the other two formats fine.

Blog Entries

Asked and answered. Thanks Marc.
    Tim

I know you've got your question answered BUT I thought I'd through something in the mix. I got a 45" 720p TV and two DVD players one is a normal Sony DVD player the other is an LG Up-scaler. I can't tell the difference in the picture between the two.

I would therefore recommend trying somewhere like AVForums for a good advice on choosing the one you want that will really look better than a normal DVD player. I'm not saying the Toshiba SD-390 at 40 isn't the one for you, after all it did win the Which DVD up-scaler award BUT I wouldn't want you to be disappointed when you got it home as I have come to know you as a man who doesn't accept second best.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I know you've got your question answered BUT I thought I'd through something in the mix. I got a 45" 720p TV and two DVD players one is a normal Sony DVD player the other is an LG Up-scaler. I can't tell the difference in the picture between the two.
    Thanks MB. Not only that. At a do on Friday a friend brought along a cheapo cheapo (Sainsbury's own brand I think - InspiRED) upscaling DVD player (just to play background audio CDs) and I asked his opinion. He said the upscaling on this didn't seem to make any difference whereas the upscaling Sony DVD player he had at home made a real noticable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would therefore recommend trying somewhere like AVForums
    Already had a look

Thanks for your thoughts MB, but I'm not really in the market for an upscaling DVD player as such. I need (or soon will need) to replace my DVD player and given that I'm limited to the appalling sound of the Samsung TV anyway, just about ANY DVD player will do. It just seemd that if for a few quid more I can get upscaling, I might as well.

I have come to know you as a man who doesn't accept second best.
    Ahh, well you'd be wrong there. I will happily accept second best so long as no-one (especially me) is under the illusion that it is best.

If I could afford to do one thing with my TV, that would be to put in better sound. But I'm lacking knowledge here ("pig ignorant" wouldn't be a bas phrase to use.

When I spoke to Richer Sounds about some better system (basically ANYTHING must be better than the appalling built-in speakers which resonate at exactly the frequency my voice seems to generate) it all seemed to be on the basis that you needed to be playing back a DVD in the sound system's DVD/Amp combo ie the TV is used purely as a monitor.

But I want to use the TV as a receiver - eg use the TV as is for video but send the audio off to some other amp/speaker setup.

And I ALSO want whatever sound system to be able to use audio from my PVR.

I did try sending the audio out from my TV into a hi-fi, but there's a noticable lag. Wholly unacceptable for me and certainly won't help persuade my wife that a better sound system is worthwhile.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I did try sending the audio out from my TV into a hi-fi, but there's a noticable lag. Wholly unacceptable for me and certainly won't help persuade my wife that a better sound system is worthwhile.
    On my TV there is a setting in the menu to overcome this problem. I have a phono out put into my stereo hifi which works a treat.

Blog Entries

Hmmm, I'll have to take another look. There was a setting to mute internal audio, but that was all I seem to recall. Didn't affect the lag problem.
    Tim