Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2nd YouTube HD video

1. Default My 2nd YouTube HD video

Here is my second attempt at a HD video. Too much tower for my 1st but here we go. I edited video on sony vegas 9 and my photos on elements 6. Also if you go to the YouTube site you can view in HD & full screen which I recommend. Enjoy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1jq-F9k0k]YouTube - Spain HD 2009[/ame]

It reminds me of how difficult it is to hold a cam steady; and why they invented tripods or software to compensate for minor vibrations and judder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    It reminds me of how difficult it is to hold a cam steady; and why they invented tripods or software to compensate for minor vibrations and judder.
    Darling, what's that you're packing for our holiday?
    A tripod, dear.
    Oh no you're not!

Sometimes we have to work with what we have.

A monopod might be a compromise. A bean bag would be even easier to carry. Santa's bringing me a "Pod" for Christmas which I'm, hoping will come in handy.
    Tim

My wife made me a been bag for my camera, It's got 2 kilos of lentils in it. Big camera

I used it for an interior car shot the other week, worked a treat.

Nice shots of Spain. I thought you did well on the full zoom of the beach keeping the camera steady considering it was hand held. I feel there is something missing but I'm not sure what. Oh I know, it's your signature shot of the Eiffel Tower. lol sorry couldn't resist it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Oh I know, it's your signature shot of the Eiffel Tower. lol sorry couldn't resist it.
    Oh, drat. I just caught myself LOL ing
    Tim

As one who cannot hold a camera steady, I hope my earlier comment was not seen as a criticism.
    Having watched the video a few times; I feel that the juddering is most noticeable when the main object is supposed to me unmoveable (like the building at 3:00). But when filming more natural objects (like the dancer) is seemed to matter less.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I feel that the juddering is most noticeable when the main object is supposed to me unmoveable (like the building at 3:00). But when filming more natural objects (like the dancer) is seemed to matter less.
    Now that's obvious, once you think about it. But until you brought that to my attention, I hadn't thought about it

Good point, and something to bear in mind when caught without any means of camera support.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Film-making tips; number three. As told by old farts and suchlike.

"Either the camera moves deliberately or it's rock-steady".

I find that if i have to do a hand-held shot on anything other than a wide, it's best to add a bit of deliberate movement, even if it's only a slow track or pan, to cover up any wobbles. Failing that I've become an expert at using all sorts of objects to steady a camera. Streetlights and roadsigns are particularly good.

I've also noticed that, especially with the smaller camcorders, I'm not as steady as I thought. Stuff which looks rock-solid in the viewfinder is jumping about all over the place when I look at it on a telly.

The nice thing about a monopod is that, when closed up, it works a bit like a poor-man's steadycam.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Darling, what's that you're packing for our holiday?
    A tripod, dear.
    Oh no you're not!
    ... and how did you witness that conversation Tim? I didn't notice you in the room when we were packing.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 12-21-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    I've also noticed that, especially with the smaller camcorders, I'm not as steady as I thought.
    In an earlier thread (Nov09), MidnightBlue had advised:
    "Human Tripod". Keep your elbows tucked in and the camera close to the chest if using the screen viewer or better still use the eye piece but keep the elbows tucked in. This acts like a human tripod, three points of contact.

Given the lightness of little cameras, have there been a move away from Users using two hands? Whilst one hand can never be as steady as two hands; is there any similar advice for holding a device with one hand?

I think on the one handed camera hold the advice that Gaffer gave was best keep the camera deliberately moving.

I was doing a shot the other week (panning up and around someone) which really should have been done with a jib/crane or steady cam BUT not having one I had to hold the camera by the handle and position my body at the start of the shot, so I would be straight when I was at the end of the pan, rather than at the beginning of the pan. This way your not as wobbly at the end of the shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast