Thread: choppy video on media player. OS and video not on the same hard drive.

Question choppy video on media player. OS and video not on the same hard drive.

Hi,
    when playing an *.avi (or any other movie) the video/sound is chppy. the windows media player stucks for a second and plays again.
    This phenomena started after I've reinstalled my computer and placed all my pics/videos on a seperate hard drive (D) while my OS is on drive C.
    when i play a movie from drive C it works well. I've also tried to install a player on drive D but it didnt help.

please help.

Yishai.

Is your drive C: faster than your drive D: maybe one is SATA the other IDE connections. SATS is always better than IDE. I think there is even a super dooper SATA which is even better. Sorry I've forgotten what it's called.

Another thing about hard drives is if they get to full they don't work as efficiently. Just as they don't work as well if they are fragmented. Which is always worth looking at.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 12-19-2009 at 09:49 PM.

thanks,
    both of the drives are IDE and are not half way full. I've just formatted them so they cant be fragmented. C is connected as master and D as slave. D is faster. They are connected on the same cable.

I don't understand how D could be faster if it is a slave of drive C. They should be the same speed. Do you have the enough connections to make drive D a second master.

I'm not sure what else to recommend.

One last thought is make sure you have up to date drivers for all your hardware, graphics card, DirectX etc.

thanks,
    i'm not sure D is faster. its just a newer one so i assume its faster. anyhow D is slave and C is the master. I've updated the various drivers and updated the dierctx. nothing helps.

thanks,
    yishai.

7. Default

1. Do you have the latest updates for Media Player?
    2. Have you tried importing your video to C: drive and playing from that drive?

thanks.
    1. yes i have the latest player.
    2. i tried that and it works fine. the thing is i want my OS and data to be on seperate HD.

yishai.

Try another media player like mpc. Also, it sounds like the problem lies in your RAM (or lack there of), either that or the video card.

A computer is not a toaster - they just do weird things sometimes - even annoying things - I try ignore my computers tantrums.

I get this sometimes - I try vlc then - not my fav player but less glitchy often.