Thread: no audio on captured dv in Movie Maker

Default no audio on captured dv in Movie Maker

I have a Sony TRV16e, about 2 years old, and have lost original software. Sony assure me I don't need software to install this camera with XP but although it caputures the images fine, there is no audio (I can play back soundtracks, etc, but not the original sound recording). I have tried downloading the necessary software from Sony website, but my model isn't even listed! Before I spend 25 quid on the software from Sony, has anyone had the same problem happen, and how did you (if at all) resolve it. Thanks in anticipation.

Can you advise what capture method you are using (and do you mean the TRV14?)

Thanks
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default DCR-TRV16E

Thanks for replying - I'm on a steep learning curve because have only just purchased a computer with the capability to capture digital video, despite having owned the camera for a couple of years. Yes, it's definitely a TRV16E (no longer listed on the Sony Web Site) and am using a USB connection and Movie Maker to capture the images. I've lost the original software which came with the camera, but have been told by others and Sony that having XP Home, I wouldn't need it anyway. I still had to download the software on offer for the TRV14E before I could even install the hardware, and, although I can capture the images fine and it shows that audio has been captured, it won't play in MM. I've reinstalled my audio software and it works in every other way, so unless I am missing something (probably the obvious!), I think I'm going to have to purchase the software again, as advised by DELL (who I've also contacted for advice). They have also suggested I reinstall Microsoft but that sounds a little drastic to me especially as I am very much the amateur! All help gratefully received as it's extremely frustrating! Thanks again.

You've added some extra information there which helps us sort this problem out almost completely I hope.

You mentioned you are connecting by USB. There's your problem.

To capture footage you should be connecting via firewire. If you do this then you will not be required to install any s/w whatsoever on your PC.

Also, for a Mini DV camera, firewire is the recommended method for capture anyway. You would likely get a degradation in quality capturing across the uSB port anyways. Go the firewire route and you'll be ok.

Having said all that though, if your camera ia anything like my TRV33E you may have a Sony memory stick in it for still picture capture. You will not be able to transer images from this through the firewire to the best of my knowledge. For this you would have to use the USB interface. However, once again there is a better way. Buy yourself a card reader. Takle the card from the camere and put it in the card reader and take the still off that. Much better.

If you still have troubles after this and required the s/w I'll be happy to duplicate any disks I have form my TRV33E whcih may prove to be the same and send them to you as you only live down the road in Gloucester.

Many thanks for getting back to me - it all makes sense - however, my pc doesn't seem to have a firewire connection so I presume that means buying a kit? I have a cable, but nowhere to insert it! Would appreciate any tips on which one to get (if that's what's needed). Thanks again for your time.

Get a bog standard Firewire Card (1394) and a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. Plug 4 pin end to your cam and 6 pin end to the firewire card, and Robert is your mother's/father's brother.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Thanks everyone - had a blonde moment earlier when I said I didn't have a firewire connection - just didn't look hard enough for it. Problem solved; excellent quality video AND audio captured. Can't wait to get started. Bye Bye!