Thread: Which Software for this strange (maybe) request

Default Which Software for this strange (maybe) request

Hi guys,
    I'm sorry if this has been covered elswhere but I just don't know where to start, I don't even know what the type of editing i am trying to do is called... So any pointers to software or what I should be looking for would be much appreciated.

Ok, I have managed to aquire multiple cameras and capture devices..
    5 panasonic sv-av100
    2 panasonic sdr-s150
    3 other sunry dv cams (sony and sharp)
    2 wireless minicams connected to Aopen xrecorders (hardware mpeg2 capture devices)+ laptops
    dc30, mx30 (probably wont be used but you never know)
    Audio will be recorded separately

I'm an engineer not a video bod, over the last few years I got a bit obsessed with repairing the early panasonic range of mpeg2 SD cameras so have managed to gather a few, the other stuff has been begged and borrowed from the council and parents, needless to say the budget is near zero.

The idea is to be able to record a school event.
    several of the cameras will just be static giving various angles
    others will be tripod mounted and hand held for closeups etc
    the two wireless cameras will be put in props

So the majority of the footage will be mpeg2, if there is any software that will handle this lot natively with minimal transcoding (in a similar way to womble) that would be ideal as the panasonics all produce streams that are cross compatible, the xrecorders can be coaxed into making a compatable stream and have firewire capture for the DV

The idea is to run all the cameras for the full length of the event synced with a clapper board at the start of each act and end up with multiple full recordings of the event.

So here's the question, is there an editing package that will allow me to load all the clips on separate time lines and be able to jump from one clip to another.
    Effects and fancy wipes aren't needed, cut and fade would be quite good enough as any other sfx tweaks can be added in other packages later.

Hopefully I and a group of the kids will be able to construct two different edits of the show and combine these to produce a dual angle dvd.
    Its the only way I can think of putting it all together without a horrific amount of clip generation and sync headaches. With any luck every parent will be able to see their "little Johnny" doing his special thing

Thankyou very much for your indulgence
    Jay

no doubt others do too but I know Adobe premier pro does this.

Thanks Alan,
    Any idea how old I can go i.e. what is the earliest version that will support this?
    The machines I have access to aren't cutting edge (fastest p4 3.4ghz HT 2gig) plus there may be a copy/machine somewhere on the island i can borrow, i think i have a version somewhere (circa 1996 ) that came bundled with the dc30. There is no chance of spending 600 just for the editing software, it looks very nice but far far more than we need.
    cheers
    j

Sorry for thr late reply. Multi camera features appeared in Premier pro in v2.

One other thing. As this is a school event make sure you absolutely DO remember to get written permission from parents of every single child being caught on camera. If you do not then you are not acting legally! Permission from the school saying it's ok is not enough!

Alan makes a good point about permission from parents. The way my daughters school did it was to inform all parents about what was going on and ask them to say if it's not ok for their child rather than say it is ok for their child this prevents needing a 100% response from every parent, which can be troublesome.

Personally I do not believe that an 'ommission of non-permission' has the same weight. By not replying at all the parent could later claim they simply never gave permission - which they didn't - and the videographer is then liable for trouble.

It's a monstrous can of worms and the best way out is to have it in writing from all parents. Probably the easiest way of getting this is if the school sent out leaflets saying so and the child can opnly participate if their parents sign the permission slip. It's just so easy for theparents to just not bother signing anything afterwards.

You could be right Alan, I'm no legal expert. I just thought my daughters school would have done it right. BUT like you say it's a bit of a minefield. It's really a sad indictment of todays society that we have to be so paranoid about such a thing.