Thread: New System

Default New System

Hi guys,

I too have a new media system, brill!. Sings and dances, I have also used the capture card and used the WinDVD creater software to capture analogue, edited and burned the result to dvd.

Only two problems I've encountered are:
    1. Sometimes, after half an hours worth of capturing from VCR VHS tape, the hard drive seems to stop for a while with the light on - then resumes a short while later. Hmmm. I've thrown another 1 Gig of Ram at the system, but still the same result. The hard drive I have is a 7200rpm serial thingy which should be reasonably fast. Don't know now whether or not it could be the processor, motherboard or capture card itself. any clues?

2. When the VHS is played on the TV it's fine. Once it's been captured to the hard drive, and viewed in the editor programme, there is a blurry line along the bottom all the time? And on the resulting DVD. Any clues?

Cheers

Lyv

Hey, been getting a lot of help from the forum so gonna try give some back

Not sure about your first problem, does the harddrive stopping affect your captured video?

When I capture from VHS to PC I also get that line at the bottom, Im not sure what causes it but I dont think it is a problem. When I recorded a video onto a DVD with powerproducer the line was not there on the TV, however with nerovision express it was. You can crop the line off the bottom and then it def wont be there on TV.

the wavy line bit is there on the video, you just can't see it because of overscan.

As for the problems you're having capturing, what software are you using? What software's running in the background? What codecs are you capturing to? Have you installed all the proper drivers (not the windows included ones) for all your hardware?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Default Re: New System

Quote Originally Posted by Diver
    1. Sometimes, after half an hours worth of capturing from VCR VHS tape, the hard drive seems to stop for a while with the light on - then resumes a short while later. Hmmm. I've thrown another 1 Gig of Ram at the system, but still the same result. The hard drive I have is a 7200rpm serial thingy which should be reasonably fast. Don't know now whether or not it could be the processor, motherboard or capture card itself. any clues?
    Are you capturing to a separate drive than the boot one (recommended)? Hard-disk often recalibrate automatically (this happens both during read and write, and causes jerkiness), it's not the insufficient RAM or anything, just keep your hard-disk in shape (defrag it often, clean it up, add an extra case cooler etc).