Thread: Split screen video in Vegas (9)

1. Default Split screen video in Vegas (9)

I've been attempting to run two video tracks side by side as a split screen. (Its actually two motorbikes on the same racetrack to compare lines/styles etc.)
    Although both of the individual clips play quite happily in Videolan and import into Vegas OK when I run the split screen it becomes incredibly jerky.
    The split screen effect was achieved by using two tracks and the track motion feature of each track to just use half the screen, one right, one left.
    This is on a brand new Sony Vaio VPCCW1S1E and I've tried it with the clips stored on an external hard drive and on the lappys hard drive.
    Could this be that Vegas just requires so much processor power to perform this that my laptop isn't up to the task? (Certainly I hope not!).

I have found Vegas is more hungry for power than other NLE's I've tried but all is not lost just reduce the quality of the preview and this should handle the jerkiness. I can't say which setting will work for you, so just keep trying the different ones until it works as you want it. Remember although the quality of the preview is lower the finished piece will not be affected by changing the preview setting.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I have found Vegas is more hungry for power than other NLE's I've tried but all is not lost just reduce the quality of the preview and this should handle the jerkiness.
    Which NLEs are you referring to?

Without using CPU power per se, Vegas CAN prepare for previewing by:

* Building RAM Previews - Uses RAM

or . . ..

* Prerenders - Uses hard drive

or . . . .

* Render to New tracks - Uses hard drive

What is the POWER that Vegas uses to get to full fps? RAM, CPU - what exactly?

These "other" NLEs, how do they get full fps then? Are they too rendering out the clips first?

. . meaning there ARE other ways to review your work at full fps without needing to descend to a lowlier quality. And this isn't necessarily 'cos Vegas "craves" power.

Here's the thing: Vegas has many valuable features as part of its function-set - rendering to Preview is an option that will give you full fps. What you need to consider is that on the one hand the function-set you get with Vegas - at this remarkable price point - OR go for another NLE which I also suggest has to use a rendering engine to get what it wants, but at the expense of the function-set which SONY bung in anyway.

This is an old chestnut for VegHeads. Those of us that put up with the need for getting interim Preview renders or NONE, do so 'cos they are hooked on the Vegas Feature-set.

I don't know how or why I found this to be the case but for example I used Edius Neo and Edius 5 both of these ran multi-tracks, transitions, effects etc on my system at 1280x720p smoothly without pre-rendering. BUT Vegas struggles to do this on my (now ageing) system. I don't know much about Vegas, I've only been using it for a few weeks. I don't even know how to build a "RAM preview" which may or may not help me as I only have 1Gb of RAM :(

I have also found the rendering times enormous compared to Edius, example rendering a 5 min movie for avi to mpeg2 is almost real time in Edius rendering the same movie in Vegas about 4 x real time. I'm currently rendering a 45min movie to 720x576 mpeg2 it says it has h3:37:32 to go it's already done h2:40:40.

It's a mystery to me why, but that's what's happening.

Like I say I don't know how or why I just call it as I see it.

Blog Entries

I have to say, I think Edius is definitely in the "well worth a look" camp. Possibly taking over from where Vegas was a few years back as a "best kept secret". I know little about it but I was at a video (makers) competition a few weeks back and one of the guys had a demonstration running. Admittedly the processor was an i7 920 but this was a laptop (no external drives) running one of the Edius programs and it was a 3 x 3 grid of 9 tracks of 720p HD footage all previewing in realtime. I was mighty impressed though the significance seemed to be lost on just about everyone else.
    Tim

Having used both I think you might miss some of the whistles and bells that Vegas offers but for my (enforced by using Pinnacle for years) working method it a great piece of software and the Neo version is so cheap. I am learning to like Vegas and may well stick with it because of it's "function set". I it's teaching me a new way of doing things. Like I said before I've only been using Vegas for a short while and until I get my new system in the new year I have not made my mind up which to stick with. May be even have both.

By my comment earlier about Pinnacle I don't want to put people of that. I found it great to start off video editing as it's user interface is so user friendly but I have now out grown it's limitations.

Does that mean I'm no longer a newbie.

By the way after over 3 hours of rendering the flipping thing has come up with an error message. "The reason for the error could not be determined". :(

I seem to have hi-Jacked this thread so sorry to the OP.

8. Default

Thanks folks. Feel free to hijack away; most of the "techie" stuff is lost on me. I have now tried reducing the preview quality and certainly with the lower quality (draft auto) the jerkiness is reduced but doesn't go altogether. Hopefully this means the end result post rendering will be OK (?).

Once again I really appreciate your input; thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manch View Post
    Hopefully this means the end result post rendering will be OK (?).
    Well, it's really easy to try on a small section. Selectively PreRender Video, Build RAM Preview, Render to new track are all available from the menu (Tools I think)
    Tim