Thread: Rock Star

Default Rock Star

This is the 3rd music video we have made for the rapper Zuby and we decided to go for a completely different approach.... Zuby shouldn't be in it!

Its a little silly but centers around an odd man convinced he is famous rock star (think Guns and Roses). It was all mostly improvised, going for a hand held rough feel. The lighting does suffer at times though because of this.

Its quite different from the usual work we produce but I hope you enjoy it!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Absolutely top notch. I love the short depth of field work, did you treat yourself to a new lens? You got great work from the lead talent. Editing was good.

One thing about the editing of when guy is being slapped repeatedly. At first I thought it was a repeat from the same person it wasn't until a few more I realised it was from different people. This may be something you might want to look at.

From idea to final product excellent.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 12-13-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks Midnight! We used a Redrock 35mm adaptor on our Z1. Bought about 4 lenses from ebay and the results so far have been really impressive. Couldn't imagine life without it now!

We were very lucky with the main actor, Dominic Hughes, as he brought so much to the table. Most of the time we just unleashed him in character and filmed the results!

Novel idea Jamie, Works really well. I'm still smilin 5 minutes after the video.
    Dominic did good too as a nerd.

Blog Entries

Overall I think I found this more enjoyable than the previous two Zuby vids. Alhough the last one (Hulk) was an absolute stunner visually, this had more of story which we could get involved with and I preferred the music!

I loved the idea at the beginning, then became disappointed as the bus stop idea seemed to go on a bit (interestingly It didn't seem so on second viewing - but first impressions cound for a lot). Was that Mr Hooper putting in an appearence at the bus stop?

The scene in his flat was difficult to follow as I was happily distracted by the poster of the young lady bending over!

After that it was fun all the way. Every time I questioned something, I had an answer:
    In the gym I thought it was a shame the talent wasn't somewhat weedier - but then I countered that with it being more realistic - the "beefcake" was the parody, not your lead.

Similarly, I thought the girls the talent approached might have been even more like stunning models or more "out for a good time" chav (am I allowed to say that nowadays?), but no, these came across as the sort of attractive girls next door that we see everyday and some of us (eg "our hero") never would have stood a chance with.

And there's loads of girls look like that in Kingston.

I liked the punchline as well. That's the sort of irony that even U.S. Americans can "get".

Unusually for me I DID like the handheld feel of this - it gave an immediacy WITHOUT being shakey enough to distract - it felt like "professional" handheld.

In contrast I did NOT like the vignetting which was much more pronounced during the first part than the latter. I didn't notice it during the latter parts (I can see it's subtly present) but it did distract at the beginning.

I liked the "Fingercuff Channel" TV logo, but it really should have been in one of the corners like a true TV logo. It lacked subtlety where it was.
    Tim

6. Default

Marvellous, not technically stunning like The Hulk one you did fot Tayshan but brilliantly entertaining instead. The guy who plays the lead is a star.
    Once more we felt the song was mediocre & the video far too good for it.

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    The Hulk one you did fot Tayshan
    Duh! That's the one I was thinking of. Not Zuby.
    Tim

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback!

Tim - Its funny you though that about the bus stop as its my favorite bit! It might have something to Jamie's cameo and the fact he isn't actually act too badly (for once). It is very different than 'The Hulk' which pleases me a great deal! Green screen videos can look great but you can get sick of them whilst in post. It can be a very long process but the edit for this was relatively straight forward.

Sarah & Allison & Tina - Thank you for the kind words! The lead is wicked and will definitely work with him again in the future.

Solway - If your smiling after you watch Rock Star then we did our job right!

Cheers,

James

Nice work, from the gutter shot to the MJ stance, stunning.

I feel Tim has summed up this clip rather well.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo