Thread: USB 2 or IEEE1394

1. Default USB 2 or IEEE1394

Getting a new macbook pro 15" in the sales, together with a Panasonic TM300 camcorder.

there is no Apple store near where I live only a Apple seller in our nearest town, the sales guy tells me that to capture AVCHD from the camcorder it MUST be firewire as USB2 will drop frames when importing into Final Cut Express4 HD, is this correct?

I intended capturing to my external Lacie Quadra 500GB (firewire 400/800) and editing the footage from there.
    ...why do weddings always attract at least one TWAT who ask the most obvious questions......SO, YOURE THE DVD MAN THEN....!

Blog Entries

Rubbish

Many AVCHD camcorders will only have a USB port, so firewire becomes a bit difficult!

I "Log and transfer" my AVCHD with USB and have no more problems than with transferring HDV with Firewire. It sounds to me like your salesman's proving that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Oh and I edit on three different machines, an imac, minimac and a macbook with Final Cut and have no problems with AVCHD.

3. Default

Thats what I thought, he did sound like a twat?

Interesting comments that you edit on a macbook? maybee there is no need to get the macbook pro afterall.
    ...why do weddings always attract at least one TWAT who ask the most obvious questions......SO, YOURE THE DVD MAN THEN....!

Blog Entries

To be fair, the macbook is noticeably slower than the others. I got it for presentations and seminars, killing time on location and in hotel rooms and only put FCE on it to see what would happen and was pleasantly surprised. It's a dual 2ghz and copes with the AVCHD but, if it's going to be your main edit system, it would be worth going for the best you can afford.

Yes, you can edit AVCHD but the macbook pro would be the better bet.

Edit: A visit to the Apple website shows that the current Macbooks have dual 2.26Ghz processors which is the almost same as my imac ( 2 x 2.66) and that whizzes through AVCHD, so maybe you don't have to go for the "pro"...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 12-14-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mike-horne View Post

I intended capturing to my external Lacie Quadra 500GB (firewire 400/800) and editing the footage from there.
    Isn't "capturing" reserved for something done in real time? This why you need the faster interface of Firewire when dealing with any of the DV tape formats.

Surely AVCHD is just file transfer under whatever OS you're using and as such it will transfer at whatever rate it can manage (hence USB is fine)

If my understanding is correct, you don't "capture" AVCHD (and this is more than just splitting hairs)
    Tim

Blog Entries

That's probably why FC calls it "Log and Transfer" rather than "capture".