Thread: Our Big Fat Greek Cruise (Revised)

Default Our Big Fat Greek Cruise (Revised)

A few months ago we originally posted this travelogue about our 7-day Greek cruise. We received some very useful and valuable feedback from this forum, at that time, and have applied that feedback into our final cut. As a result, the length of this feature has been reduced by over a minute. A completely new music score has been edited in (including an amplification of the opening theme). The result is a tighter production and a more polished presentation, in our opinion. For those of you who provided the initial feedback and help, I respectfully request that you watch this feature again to see if we have succeeded in our goal. If you have additional useful feedback, please let me know.

I'm planing to pitch this travelogue to the cruise line's Director of Product Development next week for inclusion in their website's Promotional pages. If they buy into it, this will our first commercial success.
    Thanks all.
    Gaines

Default hi worddigger, havent got around to watching the re edit yet but note the time to be

hi worddigger, havent got around to watching the re edit yet but note the time to be over 16 mins.

how did you manage this ? i thought youtube had a limit of ten mins per video ?

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    hi worddigger, havent got around to watching the re edit yet but note the time to be over 16 mins. how did you manage this ? i thought youtube had a limit of ten mins per video ?
    It is because I signed up for YouTube many yeas ago, and had a 'Director's' account which allowed extended running times. Now, I guess those accounts are 'grandfathered' in for us early users.

Almost flawless. Entertaining, Educational, Amusing. You really know how to use that camera. I wasn't sure about the animation bits at first but they won me over eventually even with the perspective changes.

Just one thing, near the end at 15:40 there is a jump cut was that because you ran out of footage of the sun set ?

Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Almost flawless. Entertaining, Educational, Amusing. You really know how to use that camera. I wasn't sure about the animation bits at first but they won me over eventually even with the perspective changes.

Just one thing, near the end at 15:40 there is a jump cut was that because you ran out of footage of the sun set ?

Great job.
    Yep! <sheepish smile>

Blog Entries

Is it my imagination or has this lost some of the more wacky "diggerisms" from the earlier version? A shame if it has from my point of view, but presumably an editing decision based on your revised target audience.

I'll can only repeat my comment about this being exactly what all amateur travelogues should aspire to be.

I'm still knocked out by the quality of the HG10. And, of course, your voice is a great plus. All my other previous comments stand. As we don't have the original any more for comparison, it's hard to compare accurately, but from memory, this does have a slightly more polished feel, although it also felt to me like it had lost a smidgen of its charm.

I do wonder whether the shakiness of the zoomed shots (especially near the beginning) will stand againt you in terms of getting it up on the site. It may even be that generally the film is TOO well produced to look like an amateur effort which actually emphasises the shakey footage.

My other concern regarding the pitch would be the use of the Love Boat theme (if, indeed that is what it was rather than one of those "similar but not close enough to infringe copyright" themes). I'm proud to say I'm not familiar enough with the Love Boat to know.

Good luck with the pitch.
    Tim

yes , this tighter edit works better for me.

only thing to add, at 12.59'ish... the music crescendo is too loud in comparison with the voice over to the extant that it actually distorts (on my laptop)

good luck with it
    Last edited by enc; 12-13-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Is it my imagination or has this lost some of the more wacky "diggerisms" from the earlier version? A shame if it has from my point of view, but presumably an editing decision based on your revised target audience. Good luck with the pitch.
    Yes, you are correct. I took out the one comment about the cabin's WC being so "...small you had to step outside to change your mind."

Mrs. Digger thought it would not be cool if it was in the final cut being pitched it to the ship owners (Louis Cruise lines). Normally, my artistic ego would balk at such PCisim censorship, but I'm mellowing out in my old age.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    yes , this tighter edit works better for me.

only thing to add, at 12.59'ish... the music crescendo is too loud in comparison with the voice over to the extant that it actually distorts (on my laptop)

good luck with it
    Thanks for that feedback. I think I know exactly the place you are talking about. I will adjust that in the final release.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Yes, you are correct. I took out the one comment .....
    Normally, my artistic ego would balk at such PCisim censorship, but I'm mellowing out in my old age.
    OK I'll let you off this time.

One of the benefits of getting older is that you CAN get away with saying stuff which as a youngster would adversly affect your career, social standing, chances of pulling
    Tim