Thread: Fun short chase piece. Let me know what you think world?

Default Fun short chase piece. Let me know what you think world?

Hey

YOU CAN WATCH THE VIDEO BY CLICKING ON THE LINK ABOVE THE ERROR MESSAGE!! I CAN'T FIX THE ERROR MESSAGE!!

This was a short chase piece filmed by me and my friends. Let me know what you think! The sound quality isn't too good because of the site used. Youtube and facebook didn't let me put the video online because of copyright with the song.

AMT4.mpg from mick4mcg on Motionbox

Cheers!

Mike
    Last edited by mick4mcg; 12-11-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Is this part of a bigger movie ? I wasn't sure why the guy was being chased.

Watch out for continuity. Example near the end when they run out the building the attacker is closer to the victim in the first shot. Then when it cuts to the different angle of that shot he is further away.

I agree with Midnight, and also, rocking the camera from side to side will only work effectively if you eliminate the camera shake that was all to evident as well.

(Just out of interest, why would anyone copyright that noise!)

Blog Entries

Agree with the other guys.
    There's no motivation for the chase.
    The viewer doesn't know with which character his sympathies should lie.
    The exterior shot of the spiral staircase should either tilt smoothly all the way down or tilt from level to level and pause on each level.
    The tripod shots, being the only shots that had no noticable shake were therefore much better.
    The framing was poor in the opening shot (you kept cutting off the victim's head)

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post

(Just out of interest, why would anyone copyright that noise!)
    To prevent others being able to post it and thus saving much of mankind from being subjected to it?
    Tim

Sorry guys, I'm going to disagree with most comments here.
    I thought it was a nice little exercise in frantic mayhem.

Short pieces like this exclude the need for motivation in my view. thats not to say it couldn't be included in a longer piece that had a story (Start, middle and conclusion.)

The noise as Ian pointed out wouldn't win any music competitions in my book but seemed very appropriate for the purpose of the sequence.

Like Tim, I think I was schooled in the art of nice composition, no cut off heads with perfect horizons and everything nicely balanced. The modern style for better or worse ignores this and this seems standard practice for frantic/chase scenes. Dunno if its sloppiness/carelessness or lower camerawork standards, what I do know is its seen almost daily on TV shows.

For me there are 2 type of shots. The tripod shot for rock solid or ultra smooth movement and the handheld where almost anything goes. This short film was the latter.
    Middy Blue made a valid point on the continuity being a bit dodgy, other than that I thought it was quite good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    Sorry guys, I'm going to disagree with most comments here.
    Thank Dawkins for that. It was getting a bit boring around here.

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    I thought it was a nice little exercise in frantic mayhem.
    Still to me it was just a load of shots which didn't make an awful lot of sense and certainly didn't draw me in in any way at all. I was just looking at images.

I want to be entertained, informed, amused, inspired or provoked by what I see. (Or otherwise have effect on my emotions)

I've no doubt that it IS possible to tick some of these boxes in a film which shows one radom bloke being persued by another without being given any sort of reason, but it would have to tick the entertaining box by being full of clever stunts, the inspiring box by being beautifully and imaginitively filmed or the amusing by by having an element of humour (or a combination thereof).

But in this case, as I said, I was just looking at a bunch of images.
    Tim