Thread: How to edit to a beat?

Default How to edit to a beat?

Hey guys

I was just curious to find out how everyone does this. I have yet to find a way to find the beat and edit to it. Is there a secret or easy way to find the beat of a song and edit to it. Right now i am editing videos in Sony Vegas 9.0 can anyone help me with this? Or share there tips and tricks. I would really appreciate it.

azbiel

Blog Entries

Most people seem to agree that whilst it is possible to use scripts to add markers every "x" frames or milliseconds, the best way is simply to tap the "m" key in time to the music. This will put a marker on each beat. SImply ensure you align your cuts to a marker.
    Tim

Yep, agree with Tim. Then just fine tune the cuts as you edit on the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Most people seem to agree that whilst it is possible to use scripts to add markers every "x" frames or milliseconds, the best way is simply to tap the "m" key in time to the music. This will put a marker on each beat. SImply ensure you align your cuts to a marker.
    People actually do this ? I have always just listened to the sound track stopped it on the beat and adjusted the clip to end/start at that point then place another clip on and repeat.

I don't know if my method is old school or dumb school.

Using the markers is very shrewed move actually and if done in the trimmer the markers always stay with the audio clip no matter where it is on the time line and can then be re-used again on anther project.

Also if you have markers on the TL when using the trimmer you can get the trimmed clip to automatically move to the TL at the start of the cursor to the the next marker and you can move all way down the TL just doing that...

I have always just listened to the track. Never really thought of using markers on FCP but I think everyone has a different method they prefer!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Dunno about FCP, James, but if you place markers in Vegas, the progarm will "snap" clips (more accurately "events" in Vegas") to the markers. It will also "snap" to the start/end of any other media on other trackson the timeline. This is quite a time saver introduced I think in version 8.

Are you saying that every time you, say, trim a bit off the from off a clip, you listen to the music again in order to re-align it? Surely it's easier to drop a marker on the music track as you know that is where you want te edit to occur

The benefit of adding markers by TAPPING the "M" key (in Vegas, other keystrokes in other NLEs are available) over some mathematical method (eg 120bpm = 12.5 frames per beat in PAL) is that it allows for the FEEL of the music. Often you'll find that where you want your cut is slightly behind or in front of technically where the beat falls. This all happens subconsciously - in a "driving" piece the drummer will often hit the snare slightly ahead of beats 2 & 4, whereas in say a blues he'll hit 2 & 4 slightly behind the beat.
    Tim

Massif Tip! - Use the Timeline slow-down playback option to .5 or even .25 for really fast stuff. This ways your finger wont stumble over the "beat" when striking the "M" key - resulting in getting much better "attack" accuracy.

Blog Entries

Great tip Grazie. One I have used but had forgotten.
    Tim