Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problems tranferring photoshop workflow in Vegas.

Default problems tranferring photoshop workflow in Vegas.

Hi,

I found this terrific workflow to restore underwater water photo's in photoshop. I really like to do the same in Vegas Pro. Can anyone help me with it?

The workflow can be found here:
    How To: Editing Underwater photos with Adobe Photoshop - Divester

I hope someone can help me.

Jochem
    Last edited by Jochem180; 12-09-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Yeah, well, transcribing the PS functions into V is not very straightforward, and much could be lost in the way V does layering that PS was meant to do.

However, I have done this using Vegas's very own FXs. See attached work. I did this with only ONE track and a few FXs in the Chain.

The other way is to use a script that WILL take your Still directly from Vegas, open it in your preferred Graphics editor (for me, that would be PaintShopPro) do your thang, save and have it returned as a 2nd Take!

So, here are the 3 options:

1] Try and transcribe/translate PS functions into Vegas

2] Use the Vegas tools already there - see my results. Not too shabby I think!

3] Use the 3rd party Vegas Script to port OUT and thence back into Vegas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grazie,

You did a great job doing it in Vegas. Can you describe how you manage to do this?

Thanks in advance.

How? By looking very hard, understanding what I've learnt over the years and applying FXs with the settings I adjusted to.

You will find the attached JPGEs of ALL the FX chain. This post has the 1 to 5 . Ill see if I am allowed to post the remainder 5 files in the NEXT post.

Here you go . . .

So, there you have it.

When I start off I use either Levels or Colour Corrector. But Other times when I want a QUICK stab at the direction I WANT to go in, I may just go with Colour Curves.

After getting into the ball-park area I want then it is a secondary usage of FXs to start bringing back to life the picture that I may have lost. I like apply an FX that will boost mids, mostly 'cos that is where the real meat of anything useful is going on. I do this in conjunction with the Scope to coldly asses just whereabouts my ranges and so on are heading towards.

Thirdly, it is either a sharpening or even a smoothing PLUS a sharpening that is called for. This is a big judgement call, but it does have value.

And finally, fourthly, I will be contrary and start messing with the ORDER of the FX links in the chain. This TOO can dig out even MORE clarity of the narrative.

Colour adjust/correction and colour grading I really enjoy doing. I've outlined as much as I remember when I did this. It took me about 30 minutes to get as near as I wanted. After that it was merely me being retentive with obscure adjustments, on my part, that was wanting me to play even further.

OK, I couldn't let it go . . .

I brought back the last version and started to see if I could just reduce more of the torq and increase the yellow in the fish tails.

I achieved this, but at the same time I was able to POP the foreground, making the colours and definition jump, but in doing this what I got was that all important layering of an image, that helps to create the sense of depth.

I now realised that by making the background appear mono-tonal, the foreground, which by its very nature is FULL of colour would also pop. And it has!

Now that I got this I wanted to jack up the contrast overall and NOW I used a 2 track Vegas compo and used . . er . . . the "Dodge" compo. This had the added effect springing the contrast up another notch.

What this means is:

1] I can see the Yellow on the fish

2] The background is now mono-tonal-ish - not too much, but enough.

3] The sand is white-ish, which it probably was anyway - but previously hidden under all that torq!

4] The russet and reds now occupy a more complex, organic and attractive colour space, than before in the previous version.

5] You can now actually SEE the granulation of the sand/pebbles in the immediate foreground.
    Last edited by Grazie; 12-11-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    OK, I couldn't let it go . . .
    Repeat after me:

"My name is Grazie, and I'm a colour correctic"

Thanks Grazie, there's loads of us to learn/experiment with in thses posts.

(Where did you get the original image from? - I can only find a much smaller one of the site linked to by the OP)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 12-11-2009 at 07:48 AM.
    Tim

Great Job once again Grazie!!!! Thanks. I hope I have time to try your techniques soon.

@Tim: If you like I could post some hi-res blueisch underwater pics for you?

Blog Entries

Thanks Jochem. Just a copy of the one Grazie played with will be fine. I've PM's you my email address.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast