Thread: Map Image Quality

Default Map Image Quality

Hi!
    I have been experimenting with using Shift-PrtSc to capture map images from Google Maps.
    However the captured image quality is quite poor - especially if you need to zoom in a bit for pan/zoom effect.
    I am pasting the captured image into a blank Photoshop file, and have tried varying the pixels/inch - but doesn't seem to help.
    I suppose the problem is I am capturing a screen image, which itself is lowish quality - as opposed to, say, a high quality JPG or BMP.
    Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received!!
    N.

You are right about the quality. Remember there are other sites that have maps some of which are good quality downloads. What area and orientation where you looking for. Did you need satellite photos or drawn maps ?

Default Map Image Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You are right about the quality. Remember there are other sites that have maps some of which are good quality downloads. What area and orientation where you looking for. Did you need satellite photos or drawn maps ?
    Thanks for response Midnight! Current project is for Northern Italy - showing a trip from Milan to Bormio. Satellite or drawn maps would work. I've tried Google Images but not much there!! Any suggestions? Btw - like York!! Bought a boat there once!!

Thanks for contributing to the York local economy.

Another idea I had was I sometimes use a program called AutoRoute. Which is as the name suggests a route planner program.

I've attached a sample to show you the kind of thing it will produce. Note I had to reduce it buy 75% so I could upload it on to the forum.

Looks good!! But expensive at 85.00! Will continue looking for free solution!! :0