Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Initalizing external monitoring"

Default "Initalizing external monitoring"

Quite often I get the above message when loading 9.0c 64bit on my Win7 64bit system (i7-920, 12Gb RAM, clean install).

I have two Spectraview 2190 DVI monitors connected to an ATI Radeon HD5770 graphics card.

Vegas just sits there and can't even be killed off in Task Manager.

Only solution is to reboot the PC and try again.

Does the "external monitoring" refer to the 2nd monitor, or some other device.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

It can be set to what you want it to be, so you would have to check your particular settings.

How much RAM have you allotted for RAM Preview in Vegas preferences?

I have left Dynamic RAM preveiw at its default value of 350Mb.

In the Preferences/Video tab it tells me the Max available is: 11,255Mb (this PC has 12Gb RAM on board).

Would it be a good idea to increase this 350Mb to something much higher? And if so, what would be a good value?

Thanks.

I've just tried increasing this value to 1024Mb, but the initial splash screen still hangs at "Initializing external Monitoring", and Vegas cannot be killed off in Task Manager.

Which means a complete roboot

Try reducing this default figure to 16mb, yes 16mb. Just to start, and see if you get anywhere.

This figure is for the Internal Preview, no the external. Recently I've gotten into trouble using the default, and have had to re-start to with a much lower 16mb figure.

In VP9 I do get a warning that I could be affecting the actual working of Vegas with a LARGE RAM Preview figure
    Last edited by Grazie; 12-07-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Tried reducing it down to 16Mb, but problem persists.

It usually works OK straight after a reboot, but if I run other progs first and do other things, I get the "Initializing exerternal monitoring" hang in the splash screen.

The annoying this is that the Vegas process cannot be killed in Task Manager which means the PC has to be rebooted ever time to kill of the Vegas process

Quote Originally Posted by gripp View Post
    Tried reducing it down to 16Mb, but problem persists.

It usually works OK straight after a reboot, but if I run other progs first and do other things, I get the "Initializing exerternal monitoring" hang in the splash screen.

The annoying this is that the Vegas process cannot be killed in Task Manager which means the PC has to be rebooted ever time to kill of the Vegas process
    This sounds like a system problem. BEFORE you try and open Vegas have a look in your Task Manager and see whats using up the memory. Look for things that maybe shouldn't be there.

Did you install or install something on your PC just before the problem started.

Have you fragmented your HDD's recently.

These are all things you should maybe look at.

> "It usually works OK straight after a reboot, but if I run other progs first and do other things, I get the "Initializing exerternal monitoring" hang in the splash screen."

I agree, it is starting to sound like a need for some basic boring housekeeping.

Is your System disc the same disc as your Project disc? Meaning do you do your work away from your system disc? Have a look in your Vegas Temp directory. Is it full of old Vegas tmp files? Did you set your Temp directory for Vegas on your system disc too? No problem with doing that, but if your SysDisc is constipated too then Vegas will struggle to get the functions working IF you have loads of redundant files.

Anyway, nothing to be lost in doing this stuff, and if you STILL get this issue then it's gonna be something other than these and you would have eliminated it from the usual-suspects pile.

I seem to have cured my hanging splash screen problem "Initializing external monitor".

As this was a fresh install OF Vegas, I'd not yet tweaked the Preferences settings and found that "Enable Media manager" was checked.

I unchecked this as I don't use Media Manager and now Vegas loads in about 2 seconds.

Thanks to all those who contributed sugestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast