Thread: Jason & Pals - Episode 2 - Jason Gets Evicted

Default Jason & Pals - Episode 2 - Jason Gets Evicted

I'll assume you are new to green screening. So I'll leave it at that.

I thought you started off ok. A couple of gags that was funny. But it did loose my interest after a short while. This may be an indication that the whole thing is too slow and too long.

Jason was well mic'ed but all the other actors seemed to be a secondary thought on the sound recording ! I hate it when I have to turn the volume up and down to hear the different sections of a movie.

I like that you are going for a "big production" with different locations, different actors, scripts etc... So I don't want to seem critical of your effort. BUT I do feel with just a bit more effort you could create a much more professional looking video.

I'd like to know what others thought of it before I say more.

Blog Entries

I think the word I'd use to describe this is variable.
    This goes for the plot, the script, the acting, the cinematography, the sound, the editing and the effects.

There was one thing which was consistently good and that was the music. Well chosen and well used.

As if it needed repeating, MB is spot on about the recorded sound of Jason vs everything else.

He's also dead right about it being tooooo sloooow.

Let's take some examples. The scene where you're wandering around stealing stuff from the store is far too long. I accept you want to keep your "funny" comments in, but do they really add anything? And the silly screaming voice - what's that meant to signify? It was painful as it was badly clipping. (Even worse was the clipping present in the "word from our sponsors" - positively painful)

Another example is the manic laugh of the twin brother - far too long and you really missed an opportunity to play with a big reverb there and visual effects.
    (As an aside, I thought the "twin" joke and the normal response "OK, I'll talk to you later, bro" after the manic laughter were both very funny)

So, in summary, some good ideas, some well treated, others less so. Aim to get all of it as good as the best bits and you'll not go far wrong.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think the word I'd use to describe this is variable.
    This goes for the plot, the script, the acting, the cinematography, the sound, the editing and the effects.
    Almost to the point of being schizophrenic !

I think you have the ability to make entertaining little videos but either lack the will to really see it though to the end. Like the end of this piece. It seems to have an "it'll do" attitude running through it which is a shame.

I'm sure you have a laugh when making these things but you should have a serious eye on getting a better product. I think you need a director who will demand better performances from the actors and a sharper result from the editor.

I would also recommend studying up on how to do better green screen work as you seem to like using it.

I agree with pretty much everything you guys said.

The audio does go up and down. The keying is a little blocky.

This was for a TV class myself and Jason are taking. The assignment was one week to write, shoot and edit a 10 minute video, we both have jobs and other classes, so we really had very little time to work on this, I'm still kind of amazed we pulled it off at all.

We have to check out equipment from the school, and it can only be out for one day at a time, so some of the audio problems were due to the fact that we had different cameras and mics almost every time we shot.

You guys were also saying that the ending seemed thrown together, that is also true, we had a different ending written, but just ran out of time.

Thanks for the comments...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moldytoaster View Post
    The assignment was one week to write, shoot and edit a 10 minute video, we both have jobs and other classes, so we really had very little time to work on this, I'm still kind of amazed we pulled it off at all.
    So am I. It takes me a week just to be satisfied with the way I've taken my lens cap off.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    So am I. It takes me a week just to be satisfied with the way I've taken my lens cap off.
    Now, thats comedy

Well, given the time and equipment constraints you did incredibly well to get the thing together at all. I've been planning and shooting a 5 min video for months and I'm still only half way through the shoot !