Thread: I need a program to edit BOTH AVCHD and MPEG2

Default I need a program to edit BOTH AVCHD and MPEG2

I have JVC GZ-HD 300 and want to edit video.

From the JVC website...

"With recording speed set as: XP, SP or EP video files are created in AVCHD format and have .MTS extension. With FHD or 1440 CBR recording speeds MPEG2 format files are created with .TOD extension.."

I need software that will edit both AVCHD and MPEG2 with those file extensions.

All I really want to do is seamlessly link footage together and add music and add pop up text.

JVC customer service said cyberlink powerdirector 6 will work for me, but you can't trust those guys on the phone. I can only find powerdirector 8 for sale. I have heard that powerdirector 8 has a lot of problems and glitches so I'm asking an expert opinion.

Tell me what I need to buy. And since what I want to do is so basic, are there any free downloads out there?

I'm not saying this is right for you but one of the best video editing software for integrating different file types on the same time line, that I've used, is Canopus Edius 5. The one draw back is that it's not cheep. BUT there is a trial you can down load from their web site. There is a cheaper version of the Canopus software called Edius Neo which may also do the trick.

I'm sure there is lots of other software out there that will do the trick just fine for you.

What sort of budget do you have ?

WOW! That looks like great software but waaaaaaaaay out of my price range. I'm only in this for a hobby and trying to make a few high quality home videos. I don't have a video business so I can't justify spending that much.

I'm looking to spend less than a hundred. I picked up magix movie edit pro 12 for twenty dollars and was happy before with it I made the hd switch.

Sony Vegas should handle those files, try the movie studio 9 version (Consumer) and see if that works...

Sony Creative Software - Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Edition - Vegas Family Comparison