Thread: Advice: Wild-life film making

Default Advice: Wild-life film making

Hello,

I'm a television student at Westminster University and I think I've found my calling. I'm passionate about animals and I love documentary making. I'd really love to give Wild-life film making a go but I'm not sure where to start. I have a place reserved on a course running in June in Norwich at Wildeye school of Wild-life film making but I really want to get into doing work for this subject sooner.

Any advice about how to break into this arm of the industry? I'm a patient person so waiting for an animal to show isn't a problem. If anyone needs a runner or wouldn't mind an extra shadow on a project or even has some advice, PLEASE get in touch!

Thank you!

Max Warren

I think a lot of wildlife filming is about being in the right place at the right time. This is not luck it's knowing your subject. Hit the books and don't stop until David Attenborough come to you for advice !

Blog Entries

I know two wildlife cameramen socially. Both are passionate wildlife freaks who, even on their days off go and photograph animals, even if it's just the fox in the back garden. Firstly they're naturalists, secondly cameramen.

I assume that you have a portfolio of animal pics?

Hey guys, cheers for the advice and sorry for the late reply, I've been laid out with back problems all weekend. I'm reading alot of articles about wild-life photography at the moment and I have a book all about the film-making side of things on order. At present I have a small, but growing, portfolio of animals (birds mainly) that I've shot. I'm going to get in touch with some of the names I see in the credits for things, find out a lot more about researchs as well. But I appreciate your input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ghidorah221 View Post
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Hello,

I'm a television student at Westminster University and I think I've found my calling. I'm passionate about animals and I love documentary making. I'd really love to give Wild-life film making a go but I'm not sure where to start.
    One of the best pieces of advice for any film director is this: NEVER WORK WITH ANIMALS!

Since you want make films about wildlife, you must disregard this sage advice and move bravely forward. Be prepared to waste a lot of film (or 1s and 0s), because there is also a great deal of luck involved in being in the right place for the shot. Yes, patience is a good virtue, but you will still record a lot of garbage before you can get those golden Kodak moments.

Midnight is right about one thing; You need to KNOW your subject. If you are a naturalist, you stand a better chance of getting the footage you want, because you can anticipate what the animal will do. Know ALL of the animals you intend to film. Remember, it does no good to be an expert on Crocodiles on land when you're attempting to film Stingrays under water. Crikey!

Make your own untill you can honestly say you are proud of your output - then sleep with the right people at the right parties.

Point of information. The word ' documentary ' should very rarely be used with ' wildlife ' - documentaries have nothing to do with wildlife progs.