Thread: Help out an Irish neighbour ?

Smile Help out an Irish neighbour ?

Hi everyone,

I appreciate you guys taking your time to look at this thread. Also i hope i posted it in the right section.

I have put together a short video as a part of a marketing/communications class in order to promote our college. I have uploaded this video onto Youtube in order to get feedback from good people like yourselves. This has been done so that i can make any changes before i have to submit the final production(After Christmas). Basically we are getting graded on creativity, editing skills as well as effective communication. So any feedback would be great (good or bad)

I realise this is my first post here, but it was friend that told me to come here and ask for any advice/ suggestions , so any help is much appreciated.

The idea is based around a young guy leaving home for the first time in order to attend college in the "big smoke" (Dublin). In the video he plays hard, studies hard and comes out as a successful CEO.

Thanks again.

Dave

Blog Entries

Welcome Dave,

I've moved your video here as this is the section where you are most likely to get constructive feedback of the type you appear to be after.

Please comment on some others' videos as this is a two way street. And don't worry if you think you aren't qualified - you've watched plenty of films & videos, yeah?
    Tim

Hi Dave

I'll just mention those things that you can fix. Firstly the sound track needs balancing the second song is very low compared to the first and third.

The cuts would be better if you could follow the beat of the music more it just seems more natural to the viewer.

I don't want to overwhelm you with to much so that will do from me.

I did like the idea of changing the image from b&w to colour to add to the message.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 12-04-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that this is not a masterpiece but any feedback will help me make it better. Thanks i'll look into the issues you suggested

Blog Entries

I'll echo what MB says and add to it two things to avoid in future.

1. Zooms. Don't use them. Or at least work on the basis that you never use them and then use them when the shot REALLY calls for it. If you don't believe me, jsut try to keep a count of how many zooms you see on film & TV. You'll be surprised how few.

2. Watch your pans. Start with a still shot. Accelerate smoothly into the pan. Slow to a still shot. Never make a cut mid pan. Never pan one way and then back the other way (one exception being if you're following action).

Good luck. I got the message without having to think so that's a plus from me!
    Tim

Thanks for the feedback guys you dont know how much i appreciate it

I'll get working on fixing up bits of the video asap