Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if I was a Superhero?...

Talking What if I was a Superhero?...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieFiWhZWmVg]YouTube - If I was a Super Hero.wmv[/ame]

^^ I'm thinking about making "What if..." a series.

Thats your best video yet. I don't know why but you always make me smile, its the geekiness of it and your reactions to things going wrong I enjoy. The sound was a bit naff on your voice so it looks like your microphone challenge is still there. Good to see your enjoying the special effects. Keep it up, I for one would like to see more

I agree with Shrimpy, this is your best yet. The lighting was very much improved. The sound as Shrimpy was trying to say contained a lot of "room sound" this will not be resolved until you can you get your self a proper shotgun or clip on mic. I didn't think it to distracting in this video, It was by far your funniest one yet. Your "geeky" reactions are funny.

I like your idea of making "What if" as a series
    Well done

Blog Entries

For all the effects and humour (which like the others, I enjoyed), my favourite shot was where your slowly zoomed in to a spot above your recumbent body and sat up into the frame. A fine piece of cinematography. The beginning of "Danny Darko" an influence by any chance?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    For all the effects and humour (which like the others, I enjoyed), my favourite shot was where your slowly zoomed in to a spot above your recumbent body and sat up into the frame. A fine piece of cinematography. The beginning of "Danny Darko" an influence by any chance?

I forgot to mention that shot, how did you do that, or have you recruited a helper now?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I forgot to mention that shot, how did you do that, or have you recruited a helper now?
    Thank you all very much for the kind feedback.

The shot was very much influenced by a scene in Donnie Darko. I did the shot by using the crop in Vega's. I just zoomed in up to the point where I sat in the frame. It took me a couple of trys to get it just right though.

One thing I was not going to mention but as I just watched it back again I realised the importance of for this type of movie. Timing and correct pace for comedy. I recommend watching a few films with some of the masters of this like Steve Martin, as you are enjoying the movie notice the pace and timing of the humour and try and adapt that to your style of comedy.

I know this is yet another thing you have to think about as you as the director, camera man, sound man, Gaffer, script writer etc........

May be it's time to get a little team together.

Mmm I wouldn't be too quick to recruit a team, its wonderful having the power over all the decisions.

I just watched it again (which is always a good sign) but this time on my desktop, I would now like to retract my comment about the sound.

Midnight is right about the timing and if you could develop that skill more it would be very good indeed. Watching films is a good way but maybe an internet search will bring pointers?

Further observations on this episode are

0.55 framing. I think you need to be on the right of frame in this shot as you are about to use super powers to levitate a drink in from the left. Being on the right gives room for that action to take place. Are you able to connect your camera upto a screen which you can see when you sit in the shot to check framing?

1.09 You say...no that would be too clumsy but the audience get no idea what your imagining. Maybe a speech bubble would help with a picture ?

1.20 Explosive hands, timing spot on and the best laugh of the video

Music spot on and good ending.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by truegamenerd View Post
    The shot was very much influenced by a scene in Donnie Darko.
    [/QUOTE]
    Told you so. Smug, Smug. (OK So I called it "Danny Darko", but let's not split hairs eh?)

Quote Originally Posted by truegamenerd View Post
    I did the shot by using the crop in Vega's. I just zoomed in up to the point where I sat in the frame. It took me a couple of trys to get it just right though.
    I suspected as much. For YouTube it doesn't matter too much, but you'll be losing quite a bit of quality by zooming in post.
    Doing the shot with a real cameraperson though will take lots of practice. Combining a zoom and pan and getting it smooth as well as starting and ending in the right place at the right time is very difficult.

Plus you'd need a cameraperson
    Tim

Told you so. Smug, Smug. (OK So I called it "Danny Darko", but let's not split hairs eh?)
    [/QUOTE]

I thought Danny Darko was a much better film anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast