Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVCHD file?

1. Default AVCHD file?

Before i spash the cash does anyone know if there are any websites with AVCHD files on them that I can download to see if my laptop can handle AVCHD?

or any kind soul drop me some assorted AVCHD files on a DVD that I can try out?
    ...why do weddings always attract at least one TWAT who ask the most obvious questions......SO, YOURE THE DVD MAN THEN....!

Alternatively if you post the specs of your laptop we can give our opinion. Unless its a quad core machine with plenty of ram and a couple of high speed SATA disk drives then the answer is very likely to be that you will be most disappointed.

Sorry yo be the harbinger of doom but I have a fast dual core with three fast disks and I am not happy with its performance other than for the most basic of editing tasks.

3. Default

Pentium Dual-Core (T3200) 2.0GHz 3072MB (1x1024MB 1x2048MB) 250GB

I have an external HDD, lacie quadrad2 500gb which I shall be using for capture?
    ...why do weddings always attract at least one TWAT who ask the most obvious questions......SO, YOURE THE DVD MAN THEN....!

Well then I think performance will be borderline poor. I am not familiar with that hard drive, it depends on its interface. ESATA very good if its 7200rpm, USB 2 no good. Firewire maybe poor also.

If you produce videos where you use effects in anyway, e.g. colour correction, brightness, contrast, or flashy transfers then you will get so fed up that you don't bother to use HD. You could convert the AVCHD footage into HDV but that is a slow process and totally negates the ease of getting your files into the computer.

My desktop is more powerful than your laptop and my disk setup is much stronger, I have a fast SATA for the system, another for capture files and a third for the scratch disk. I have given up shooting in AVCHD as its nowhere near as pleasant to edit in comparison to SD material.

Lets see if anyone else thinks its going to work well for you.

5. Default

willbe using firewire for connections, alternativly I may considder a cheaper camcorder and maybee try a macbook pro?

I have to agree with Shrimpy, 2Ghz Dual Core is a fine spec PC for most use. BUT for editing native AVCHD you will struggle as soon as you have more than one track or put in any kind of transition etc.. You can always reduce the preview levels to help.

7. Default

can the footage be encoded to something like HDV or mpeg2 ? I know the macbook pro converts it to Apple Intermediate Codec for capture/edit.

Sure, you can always do that to make editing smoother.

9. Default

mpeg2 would be the ideal codec/method, any suggestions or pointers to specific software?

I have found the choice of NLE software is a very subjective and personal thing. You could use the try before you buy options available for Sony Pro 9, Adobe what ever and don't miss out on trying Canopus Edius 5. I gave it a try and found it was very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast