Thread: Rendering a 3 Minute Video

Default Rendering a 3 Minute Video

Hey Everyone!

I've spent the past 48 hours working on a video that is no longer than 3 minutes. I'm rendering in Windows v11 wmv format/HD, and I started it last night - it's only at 7% right now. It's been nearly 10 hours. Is there anything I can do to speed this process up? Does it have to do with my computer? The video does have some special effects, but not so many that I think it should take this long. The computer I'm using isn't built for media (it's a HP netbook), but it rendered a 50 second clip with the same settings a couple days ago in under 3 hours.

I'm surprised a netbook is doing it at all! They're designed for surfing the net, like it says on the label and asking it to do more than a minute of video rendering, immaterial of the software, is asking an awful lot of it! It just doesn't have the resorces!

I'm amazed you even got Sony Vegas to run on a little net book.

That's what I figured. :( I'm gonna leave it rendering and maybe it will get there. I was hoping to avoid buying a new computer, but looks like I'll have to. Being a senior member, do you have some good recommendations on laptops? Mac vs. PC?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephers View Post
    I was hoping to avoid buying a new computer, but looks like I'll have to.
    I've made several attempts to respond to this, but each time it comes out as condescending. So I'll limit myself to suggesting that if you want to run software xxx, you look at the recommended system specs for that software.

Unless, of course, you're trying for a world record in squeezing qyuarts into pint pots.
    Tim

I'm not a PC expert but you could read the threads in the Perfect PC for editing section

There may be ways to speed up the notebook, e.g.
    10 Netbook Tips for Optimizing its Performance | BabloTech

Curiously, I was reading another forum; which refered to Vegas and the time to render WMV files. Vegas 8 render wmv speed : Sony Vegas

However, I agree with others who recommend using a faster machine. Having said that, with video rendering; one can never have enough speed.

I look forward to Mr Stephers telling us how long it eventually took. Perhaps he will post in a the next week or two

I'm no expert either, but a quad core PC running a 64bit OS and a decent graphics card is favorite if you intend to do much editing!
    I've got a dual-core 2.5gig with 4 gb RAM and a 512mb graphics card and 5 minutes still takes about 3-4 hours!