Thread: A very fickle and frustrating problem with Sony Vegas Pro 8

Default A very fickle and frustrating problem with Sony Vegas Pro 8

My problem is a little hard to explain and replicate, but I shall try my best.

Every few projects I work on, I encounter a problem, usually noticed when I do a quick section render to test the sync of a certain scene, so I'm not really sure when it occurs, though usually I do scrub through the scenes as I cut them, so I'm fairly certain it isn't caused from just splitting the clips up.

Lets say I have a two hour long movie, I begin splitting up all the clips I will be editing with, arranging them, adding effects and etc. sometimes (this is the reason why I called the problem fickle) a random frame from another part of the movie appears where it isn't meant to, usually it belongs to a clip far away from the current one. Extending or bringing back the clips around it doesn't remove remove the bad frame, though if I scrub over to where the bad frame is, and right-click 'open in trimmer' the frame which is shown in the trimmer is the proper frame which is meant to be shown, though the 'bad' or 'random' is still there when I click back onto the timeline.

This only seems to happen at certain points in the timeline and with certain scenes. When I open SV up it might be there, and when I open it another time, it may have disappeared. It seems to have some problem spots, where this might occur (at the moment there are 3 such spots)

Has anyone else had a problem like this, know of the reason why this happens/ a possible solution?

At first I thought it might to something to do with the way Sony Vegas 8 resamples the video clip, however after disabling resampling manually, and via a script, I concluded it wasn't the culprit.
    To me it seems like Sony Vegas isn't referencing the video on the timeline properly ( it plays perfectly in the trimmer and before I import)
    Other than that it might be something to do with the codecs/container used to compress the video.

I've found in the past, mostly the Xvid/Avi files would occasionally do this, but currently it's happening on my h.264/Avi files (The h.264 video stream was demuxed from a mkv file and put into an avi container)
    So I'm not sure if its the problem, it's happening now with these files, but has really happened before with them.

So could you tell me what containers/codecs Sony Vegas 8 is most compatible with?
    I've tried muxing the H.264 video stream into an MP4 container and a mst2 container, though both had their problems importing into Vegas (The MP4 would import without any problem, no errors or anything, but when I tried to drag the video to the timeline/open up in the trimmer, it was as if no video was present
    The mst2 muxed file just hung when I selected it, and then crashed vegas after producing a ' Sony Vegas has encountered an unexpected problem error' or something message.

These random flickers (They only last a frame) are really effecting the quality of my work and my motiviation to finish it, while they are short, they are very noticeable, and I can't afford to cut the clips at the problem areas, because later on it will occur somewhere else

Is there any information I can provide for you, that may help you solve this problem?
    As noted before the current video files I am using are H.264 (demuxed from mkv and placed into avi containers) .avi files. I have all relevant codecs and decompressors - FFDShow (they mightn't be fully up to date, but playback in something like WMP Classic is fine
    Project settings are set to match the input source, export settings are the same, (framerate and framesize wise)

Umm this is all I can think of the problem at the moment.
    I can post screenshots of the problem if needed, such as: 1 frame before the 'bad frame', the 'bad frame' and the clip after it.

Honestly, if you could help me track down this problem I would be ever gratefull, heck I might even post my completed video here, as a sign of thanks
    Anyway, thank you for your time!

~Justin

Not had this but sometime MPEG files seem to do this tome..

Blog Entries

This problem has been highlighted before, and was fixed (in this instance) by a defragging the harddrive. I'm sure there has been other instances and other cures on the forums... you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    This problem has been highlighted before, and was fixed (in this instance) by a defragging the harddrive. I'm sure there has been other instances and other cures on the forums... you are not alone.
    A defrag didn't fix the solution, as it's something I try and do on a weekly basis.

It turns out this was a very simple problem with a very simple solution.
    After re-encoding the video stream with a (PicVid) MJEPG codec the problem was solved, since doing so, I've also experienced a 70%+ increase in rendering speed and well as perfect stabilty from the files.
    Too bad the filesize is ridiculously huge, looks like I'll need to invest in a nother external hardrive.

Thank you for your suggestions!