A film I just finished editing for my final project for a class

[ame=http://vimeo.com/7882440]"HELLOGOODBYE" Short Film on Vimeo[/ame]
    -Sean
    http://www.Sean-Nelson.com
    intel core2 i7 960
    16GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850
    Audigy 2 Soundcard
    2 x 24 Inch wide screen LCD Monitor + 30 inch tv.
    TBs and TBs of Storage+ SSD

Hi Sean, I see a lot of work went into making this movie. I get the idea behind it but it's not really the sort of thing I like. For me there was far to much post work which just detracts from the story. Remember, thats why we make a movie to tell a story, not just to show off our adeptness at using after Effects.

That may sound rude to you but I don't mean to be rude, as I think you executed the FX very well. BUT like I said there was just to much of it which got in the way of the narrative for me.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will really like it but for me it was over kill. The FX detracted from a simple story that should have been told simply. I'm just a bit old- fashioned I guess.

Having said all that I think you did a good job with the actors, camera work, sound etc. So technically it's a good job.

funny you said that cuz the way the story became what it is, for the final prpject my initial thoughts were, i wanna do this this and this, what kind of story will let me do a all of that. so your right on with that.
    -Sean
    intel core2 i7 960
    16GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850
    Audigy 2 Soundcard

Without a doubt a lot of effort was invested. The setup to the story was too quick, i.e. the argument over his not saying he loved her. Some of your effects were well done, especially the car crash. The Exorcist face was not so good. I felt that the nightmare sequence was too long as it became a bit repetitive. The nightmare was used as simply a vehicle for you to cram in special effects and so because of that it fails to convey a meaningful story. On the good side the filming, lighting and editing and especially the sound are very good. You really captured a dream quality to the sound. I liked the credits at the end and the way you chose not to focus on the photographs.

Good effort, I hope you get the marks your looking for.

Blog Entries

I got the impression this was simply a vehicle designed to show off your adeptness with creating and applying various effects (for said Videography course). It did that very well. Each effect was well considered and well applied - in particular your use of sound to enhance and embellish each effect was spot on.

Funnily enough, in contrast to Shrimpy I thought the exorcist face was ratehr good and the car crash not so. Can't please all the people all the time eh?

As a piece it's total overkill and as others have pointed out a repetitive mess, but I assume you wouldn't create a serious work with such a multitude of different effects.

As a showcase it does you proud.
    Tim

I thought it was imaginative, well shot , edited and the quantity and quality of effects worked for me for this style of production. In my humble opinion, overkill didn't enter into it .
    The only slightly weak point for me was the girls acting.

Thumbs up

Yes you can clearly see a lot of time has been invested in this video.. I was really impressed .. Good job

someone really likes, Pro Scores, and Twitch

i thought it was a really good short.

some of the FX were sick, but maybe a little too many.

haha and freesound.org too... good sound/music is a good sound/music i dont care where i found it
    -Sean
    intel core2 i7 960
    16GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850
    Audigy 2 Soundcard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sithxace View Post
    haha and freesound.org too... good sound/music is a good sound/music i dont care where i found it
    Very good point. Snobbery and inverted snobbery have no place in making the correct decision. If it works well, it works well.
    Tim