Thread: Rendering Vegas Pro 8.0 Projects to DivX makes me sad... :(

Default Rendering Vegas Pro 8.0 Projects to DivX makes me sad... :(

Hey everyone!

I'm having some incredibly frustrating problems with Vegas 8.0 at the moment - I'll try and include as much information as I can.

So basically, I had an old computer running Vegas 8.0, which I used to make photo slideshows with some cool effects. My projects weren't using video at all - just JPG files, some music in MP3 format, and a bit of text. Pretty simple.

I was able to render my projects in AVI format using the DivX codec without a problem - so I know it's possible.

I picked up a new computer recently - much, much more powerful and shinier than the old one. I've reinstalled the same Vegas software but for some reason I'm now having massive problems exporting my videos using just about any codec. I want to keep using the DivX one as it seemed to retain a good amount of picture quality without leading to ridiculous file sizes.

However, when I try and render my projects using the DivX codec now, I get the dreaded error message:

"An error occurred while converting with a codec."

Here are the project settings I'm using:

HDV 720-25p (1280x720, 25.000 fps)
    Frame size: 800 x 450 (I wanted the 16:9 ration but with a smaller frame to cut down on file size)
    Field Order: None (progressive scan)
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1
    Frame Rate: 25 (PAL)

When I render, I choose to save as an AVI file. I then click on the custom tab and choose the following settings under the Video tab:

Frame size: (use project settings)
    Frame rate: 25 (PAL)
    Field order: None (progressive scan)
    Pixel aspect ratio: 1
    Video format: DivX 6.8.5 Codec (4 Logical CPUs)

I check the boxes to interleave every frame and create an OpenDML (AVI Version 2.0) compatible file.

... so, is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there something in the settings I've missed that I need to do for my video to be rendered successfully? Do I need to update or change my DivX codec?

C'mon, pleeeeeeeeease. Someone else must have heard of this problem!

Is there a reason why my DivX codec in Vegas 8.0 wouldn't work on a new computer?

My knowledge of such mysteries as rendering and codecs is limited but seeing as no one else has replied I thought I'd give it a go for you.

Does the Frame size: 800 x 450 you have chosen conflict in with the Frame size: (use project settings)

Other than that I would suspect you have something on your old computer that is needed on the new one. Try reinstalling the Divx codec pack. making sure you have the encoder as well as the decoder in the pack. I presume you have tried other codec with success. If not give them a go.

These are just some ideas to get you started.

Good luck.

Thanks for the pointers! I double and triple-checked to make sure there was no discrepancy between the frame size, framerate or aspect ratio in the project and my output settings. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the DivX codec, and even tried rolling it back to the version of the codec that I had on my old PC. No luck...

... anything else someone can suggest? Alternately, I'm happy to try seeing if a different codec will work - is there another codec which gives decent quality without a stupidly huge filesize?

mpeg2 will give a reasonable file size. This can be set to DVD quality.

Thanks! I tried using mpeg2 and it seemed to work fine. I guess I'll just live without DivX.