Thread: Help with 1st Project using Powerdirector 8 Ultra

1. Default Help with 1st Project using Powerdirector 8 Ultra

Hi
    I am new to video editing owning a Canon HF10 and using Cyberlinks Powerdirector 8 Ultra software. I will be using my Dell laptop 2 GHz dual core, 2gig memory and 256mb GPU. I understand this will be a slow process but will be looking to upgrade when funds permit.
    I have recently come back from travelling in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
    Have roughly 30gig/3hrs of editing, once finalised it would probably be around 1-1.5hrs worth.
    What I would like to do is edit at the highest possible quality onto a DVD for TV playback. Am not looking to do any colour correction etc but just spilt/trimming, transitions of fading, adding some texts so show location of videoing, DVD menu with simple credits and then a photo slideshow at the end with music.
    I would like some advice on how to start this project. There are about 200 tracks/clips for the whole, should I load them all into the timeline and work from there or should I somehow join the tracks from each destination and split/trim like that. Also will this 1/1.5hrs of video fit onto 1 DVD at best quality?
    I am looking to do this at the simplest/easiest way. Also what format should I select when rendering?

I dont use your editing software but when it comes to handling AVHCD material they are much alike.

In your circumstances I recommend that you do not try and load all of the clips onto the timeline as I fear you will soon run into lockups. Better to split the source material into chapters and work on them as seperate mini films which you can later compile the output files to create a dvd.

I would work in AVCHD and not bother to convert the source files before editing. It may be a little choppy but if your not adding any effects it will probably save a significant amount of time.

If your software is anything like mine then I suggest you simply cut the clips to exclude any footage that is not required. Add sound etc and as a final move add any transitions between clips.

Then render to a suitable high definition output file in segments. Later you will import these segments into a new project file and then render them again to output a DVD file.

Hope that helps some.

The footage length of time that you are talking about regardless of whatever type of file you choosenwill end up with you having masive, probably unmanagable files to work with. As Shrimpy has suggested work on individual chapters which can later be joined or left as chapters on your DVD.
    Its difficult but try and be ruthless and edit only the best of your material. It will give a better show with smaller workable files.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    The footage length of time that you are talking about regardless of whatever type of file you choosenwill end up with you having masive, probably unmanagable files to work with. As Shrimpy has suggested work on individual chapters which can later be joined or left as chapters on your DVD.
    Its difficult but try and be ruthless and edit only the best of your material. It will give a better show with smaller workable files.
    So are you saying i should edit a couple of clips at a time and saving it on HDD then joining them all together when done ?

That's right work in 5-10min chunks and when you have them all done put them all together to burn to the DVD.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    That's right work in 5-10min chunks and when you have them all done put them all together to burn to the DVD.
    That sounds alot of rendering, if i render 5-10min of footage and save to HDD then once all done i then render the whole lot to join together to be put onto DVD ?

Its no more rendering than if you did the whole lot at once is it? The difference is, your system will run smoothly and you won't pull your hair out.