Thread: Recording Live Videos

Default Recording Live Videos

Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I want to record decent quality songs for YouTube. My HD camcorder has decent video, but no external mic jack (unless I can somehow use the AV input for it?).

What software can I use (preferably for Mac) that will let me record video from my camera but the audio from an external source (not the built-in mic on the laptop or the camera).

So basically, I want to record video from my camera, and audio from my M-Audio Firewire 410 interface simultaneously.

I want to do something like this, it's very basic.

2. Default

Audacity may help you.. it works on mac too..and it is free!

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Cumbria, Near the Lake district

I know it isn't always practical but when you can its much much easier editing them miming to a good qualitypre recorded rrecording of themselves. It free's you up to film it as many times as you like, even with one camera and gives you loads of material to work with.
    I've filmed lots of bands an have had little to no success when recording live evens. I use a XHA1s with a direct line in from the amps and record drums from the mike line in on chanel 1 and 2. At best it ain't very succesful.

4. Default

Are you shooting this live or in a studio/home environment?
    With no mic input on your camera it sounds like a basic camera.
    One way to do it is record your audio in your favourite audio software, and when you`re satisfied with the recording save it as a wave file then import that file into your video editing program then print (record) that audio off to your video camera. Most editing software will allow you to do this. There is no need to have any video at this stage. Next, shoot your video of you playing then capture your video into your video editing software. Then capture the audio from your "audio" tape (the one you recorded your music on to) then mix that audio with your video. You will need video editing software capable of runnning 2 video tracks for this. So what you are doing is using the video from one tape and the audio from the other. You will have to delete the audio from your video clip and the video from your audio clip. Use a beat stamp of some kind in both procedures (hand clap/countdown) so you can sync the audio up with the video in the final edit. Also use 2 mini tapes to avoid confusion/ accidental erasing of your project. ( that is if your`e using a tape based camera.) Hope this works.

Bournemouth, UK

It's possible that I've missunderstood what needs to be done here.

As I see it, record the the video on the camera the audio through firewire thingy simultaneously, then sync them on the the timeline of iMovie.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post

So basically, I want to record video from my camera, and audio from my M-Audio Firewire 410 interface simultaneously.
    Sorry, misread your post.
    Yes, you should be able to do it this way except when you come to the editing stage of your footage you delete the audio track of your video and replace it with the audio from the 410. It will have been captured seperately on your computer.