Thread: This was probobly a dumb idea from the beginning. HD and DV and Vegas.

1. Cool This was probobly a dumb idea from the beginning. HD and DV and Vegas.

Good morning!

Since I sincerely dont feel like wasting anybodys time on here, Ill try to keep this as short as possible. Iam currently working on a project in Vegas 6. I know its old, but its where i feel comfortable.

The project involves both hd-clips (.m2ts) and dv-clips (.avi). The movie itself is thought to be presented on dvd (not blueray) and on the internet (as a downloadable file and as a streamed version).

My problem starts here. How do i combine these two formats without loosing any of its personal charm. I dont want to convert the HD, becuase of the fact that the movie will be presented as a streamed version. I gather that, if the case only involved a dvd-presentation, converting would be the way to go, since the point with HD disapperas if not put on a blueray disc and played on a blueray screen. Correct?

Put simply. What do I have to do to make this work? Is it even possible? If, on top of that, you have some extra advice on this issue I would be forever grateful!

Thanks SO MUCH in advance and have a great day!

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Firstly, I believe Vegas 6 only supports HDV, so any other HD footage and you're on your own.

If you set your project properties to match your HDV files and you render as an HDV file you'll be fine. Vegas will simply re-render the SD-DV to HDV. Obviously this won't add any quality to it, but it will all be HDV.

3. Default

Which setting is essential in the project properties do make the project suit the HD materail?

Also, I upgraded to Vegas 9 Pro., thinking this would give me a better chance to get the work flowing. The m2ts files are recognized and Iam able to to fit them in the same project as my regular dv files. However, the playback is choppy as hell and the transitions seem weird to me. Iam alson getting worried that this combination of diffrent fileextensions will cause huge problems for me when its time to render out the finished project.

This leads me to believe that the best way will probably be to convert my m2ts files to another (AVI DV?) format. Is this a good idea? Am I going to loose much of the DV quality and colors? Is this even possible to do in Vegas by rendering the m2ts files out as another format with some of the built in codecs?

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

OK. I'm afraid I can't give you straight answers (eg what seeting to use in properties) as I don't work in HD. Hopefully others can.

However, I can point out the following which you may or may not already realise.

Jerky playback when PREVIEWing from the timeline is not uncommon. The more work the PC has to do in decompressing files, applying FX etc, the harder it has to work. This is why you can change the playback quality to draft - that'll allow you to test the TIMING of your edits. Use Best/Full to check the picture quality/colour.

You need to render a section to see what the final result is going to be like. Vegas provides many ways - selectively pre-render, render to new track, build RAM preview.

Typically when I have a section with heavy processing I want to check, I go for the Selectively Pre-Render option, but if small Build RAM preview is faster (but more temporary)

m2ts is not a file type - it's a container as used on BluRay (as vob is a contained used on DVD video).

From Wikiopedia

The M2TS container format used on Blu-ray discs can contain one of the three mandatory supported video compression formats MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC or SMPTEVC-1[10] and audio compression formats such as Dolby Digital, DTS or uncompressed Linear PCM. Optionally supported audio formats are Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and Dolby Lossless.[7][11]
    The M2TS container format used on an AVCHD equipment is more restricted and can contain only H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video compression and Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio compression or uncompressed LPCM audio.[9]

So what you really want to do is establish which codec is being used and to maintain the HD quality throughout use the same codec/settings as that for the rendering. You may be able to find some of this info by right-clicking on the clip within Vegas and examioning the media properties. Another very useful resource is GSpot - a free download which examines and provides detailed codec information.

If this all seems overly complex - it's because Vegas is flexible. In some other software, it makes all the decisions for you which keeps things simple, but you're stuck with whatever compromises the developers have made on your behalf.

this article explains how to set the correct project settings for the video

How do I select the right Project Template?