Thread: Starting Live Gigs Events Filming business, Am I charging too low?

Default Starting Live Gigs Events Filming business, Am I charging too low?

Hi Guys,

I run a small video production company and apart from doing bits and bobs of different things, I am marketing specifically for the live gigs / events for unsigned bands and artists. What I am charging people is 80 per hours and everything on DVD or a package of 150 with two cameras (which I usually have to hire an assistant to go with me) with editing and title and even some graphics.

I just want your opinion on the pricing...is it too low for the service. We film everything on HD, even using the 5D mark II with prime lense so the quality of our production is top-notch. Have a look at our myspace of some previous live gigs and acts we've done:

DIDA MEDIA (Dida MEdIa) | MySpace

also our website:

DIDA MEDIA - Bespoke and Affordable Video Productions
    www.didamedia.com

Bespoke and Affordable Video Productions in London -

| Corporate Video | Commercial | PR Events | Live Recording | Motion Graphics | Music Video | TV Productions

take the 150 - (tax- equipment cost - insurance - office overheads) / hours worked, does that equal the amount you want to work per hour OK

AS Z says, look at the bottom line!
    I know it's an enjoyable way to earn a few s as a hobby, but you're taking a very big punt . . . the only small saving grace, and it is only small, is if you are contracted for a % of future earnings of the band if they make the big time.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

And does anyone know about the copyright regulations? Can I sell the footage?
    www.didamedia.com

| Corporate Video | Commercial | PR Events | Live Recording | Motion Graphics | Music Video | TV Productions

If you're filming tracks that they've written and they sign a contract release for you to sell the DVDs later then OK. It they're performing covers, then you'll need to contact MCPS & PRS.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Another way of making my profit with potential bands is to film their gigs for free - which I enjoy doing sometimes and sell their footage later. What do you reckon?
    www.didamedia.com

Make sure you get the rights or you will be on to a loser, as they may not let you publish

Would never would work with weddings