Thread: What initial settings

Default What initial settings

I'm using Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate. Can anyone tell me the most common settings for capture and editing and what is the best length of film to capture before editing. I have been working on a film for a month now because it takes so long to come on the screen when I open up the project. It takes about 40 minutes.

Can you give me some more information. Like how long is the video you are working on.
    What is the spec of your PC. Are you really saying it takes 40 mins for the program to open. If so, you either have a really slow PC or there is some other problem with the program. Make sure you don't have other things running in the back ground when you open the program.

My copy of Pinnacle takes about 1 min to open and I think this is a long time !

I have never worked on anything longer than 10 mins except if I putting a lot of little movies together to make a DVD. This would never be more than an hour.

The video which I am working on is about two hours in length. This is the captured footage. While I am editing it is getting shorter. I was planning to finish up with an hour. My Pinnacle programme takes about a minute to open but the project does take 30 to 40 minutes before it appears in the story line. My PC is only a few months old and the spec is:-

The specification of my computer is:-

DELL XPS 430 - Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 (2.33 GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB cache)

OS = Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    Hard Drive = 500GB Serial ATA Non Raid (7200Rpm)
    Memory = 4096MB (4x 1GB) 1067 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Graphics = 512 MB ATI Radeon HD 4670 Graphics Card

My video camera is a Panasonic HDC-HS300

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you have a perfectly respectable PC. So lets have a look at your settings.

Capture Source: I have the Scene detection during video capture set at Automatic based on shooting time and date.
    Capture Format: DV
    Project Preference: Show premium content and show premium features are tick but not the others. Project format is set from first clip added to project.
    Video & Audio Preference: Video Preview setting I enable full resolution preview and enable Hardware acceleration.
    The back ground rendering is enabled and the set codec automatically is selected.

These are my setting they should work ok for you as most of them are the default but I feel that may not be your problem. I think your problem may be that you are creating scene files every time you open the program. This should only be needed when you first capture the video. So unless you are not saving the project I don't know why that would be.

I'll wait for your feed back on what I've written here.