Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cass' Kitchen - a first attempt at a cooking show

Default Cass' Kitchen - a first attempt at a cooking show

Hi, my name is Matt and I am new to the forums. I joined because I wanted to post this video and get some criticism. Me and my friend Cassidy have created a cooking show called "Cass' Kitchen." We just finished the first episode, it is 10:53. Please watch it and let me know what you think. Any kind of advice or criticism is appreciated as we plan to make improved episodes in the future.

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

I couldn't bear to watch all of it - it made too me hungry

Firstly, can I say how much I enjoyed this video. Cass' enthusiasm came across and he managed to explain what he was doing in simple terms that even I could understand without ever appearing even slightly condescending.

He looked like he loved preparing food and he looked highly competent.

The video itself was certainly acceptable. There was a good mix of close-ups and wide shots - with the close up shots being particularly well prepared in order to illustrate a particular action.

But you've asked for suggestions for improvements so here goes:

First and foremost - get a tie clip mic on Cass (or a hidden boom). Kitchens are made of loads of hard surfaces and the echo in the wide shots is pretty bad. The close ups are better (because your camera mounted mic is much closer to the source) but this only emphasises the issue and acts as a distraction.

Secondly, Cass needs to talk slower (and here's the tricky bit) without loosing his infectuous enthusiasm. Some of it is good and clear, but he does have a tendency to thorw away lines - usually these are unimportant lines, but it leaves on feeling perhaps one has missed something.

Thirdly, it's clear here why so many TV cooking programs are made in a purpose built studio rather than a kitchen. Your enforced use of a wide angle lens really is a bit of a distraction once you've noticed it. This is a problem in a kitchen as it has so many square lines. I caught myself on many occasions thinking the camera was tilted one way and then looking at the other side of the screen realised it was just the fish eye effect. I do not know what you can do about this other than choose your shots very carefully - for example the wide shots could be zoomed in a little tighter whilst still remaining wide but losing some of the more extreme fish-eye towards the edges.

There were some minor problems with continuity of action. When Cass goes to the sink this is all wrong we see him turn his back on us an move to the sink so we're looking over his right shoulder, but this cuts to a shot from over his right shoulder. Really this close-up should be from his right. I don't think you can fix this unless Cass can work left handed, so what you need is some sort of "pivot" shot which gives the motivation for the viewer (ie the camera) to be looking from the new angle - and then you'll need one to get back again. Tricky. A cheap fix might be just to use a cut away shot to something else - eg the bacon cooking in the microwave (which actually brings the viewer into the right part of the room - there you go, problem solved!

Whilst the picture was beautifully clear, the amouint of colour fluctuates tremendously. In some of the shots Cass looks like he's been immersed in a vat of talcum powder and in others there's a nice warm glow to his skin tones. Watching back, it's clear your problem is (at least partially) down to the window over his left shoulder. As the camera moves in relation to it so the colour & exposure shifts. I don't know if you were setting for exposure manually (you certainly should), but I'd try to minimise the effect of that window by hanging a blind to redice the amount of light coming from it, and add a couple of lights to further reduce the effect of the window light.

I also spotted one hideous jump cut.

I hope that helps give you some ideas of how you might make the next one even better. I hope you post that one here as well. Well done.
    Tim

I wish I could add to this but Tim has done a very good job. So I'll simply say dito.

Nice cooking video.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I couldn't bear to watch all of it - it made too me hungry
    Imagine how hungry I got while editing it and having to watch it over and over again!

First and foremost - get a tie clip mic on Cass (or a hidden boom). Kitchens are made of loads of hard surfaces and the echo in the wide shots is pretty bad. The close ups are better (because your camera mounted mic is much closer to the source) but this only emphasises the issue and acts as a distraction.
    I do plan on getting one of those, but I'm not exactly sure how they work. My camera doesn't have a line in for a mic, which I think it would need for this to work. Otherwise I would need to import the audio from the mic into the project and attempt to line it up perfectly with the video. I plan on getting a new camera in the summer and a line in for a mic will definitely be a feature that I'm looking for.

Thirdly, it's clear here why so many TV cooking programs are made in a purpose built studio rather than a kitchen. Your enforced use of a wide angle lens really is a bit of a distraction once you've noticed it. This is a problem in a kitchen as it has so many square lines. I caught myself on many occasions thinking the camera was tilted one way and then looking at the other side of the screen realised it was just the fish eye effect. I do not know what you can do about this other than choose your shots very carefully - for example the wide shots could be zoomed in a little tighter whilst still remaining wide but losing some of the more extreme fish-eye towards the edges.
    Actually, I didn't use a wide angle lens at all for this video. But after watching the footage I realized that some of my angles could have been better.

Whilst the picture was beautifully clear, the amouint of colour fluctuates tremendously. In some of the shots Cass looks like he's been immersed in a vat of talcum powder and in others there's a nice warm glow to his skin tones. Watching back, it's clear your problem is (at least partially) down to the window over his left shoulder. As the camera moves in relation to it so the colour & exposure shifts. I don't know if you were setting for exposure manually (you certainly should), but I'd try to minimise the effect of that window by hanging a blind to redice the amount of light coming from it, and add a couple of lights to further reduce the effect of the window light.
    I ran into a lot of problems with white balance and how the colours looked. This was definitely due to the window, but also because of the fact that when we started filming it was still light out, but by the time we were finished it had gotten completely dark. Some of the shots were exposed nicely and had good white balance, but other shots looked very dark and yellowish. The good shots still had some dark shadows so I ended up using the colour corrector tool on almost every clip to try to make them all look as good as possible. As you can obviously see, some of the clips just looked way too bad to salvage completely and the result was the poor colour and quality in the clips that you noticed.

I also spotted one hideous jump cut.
    And where was this? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I hope that helps give you some ideas of how you might make the next one even better. I hope you post that one here as well. Well done.
    It certainly does, thanks very much for the advice. This kind of reply was exactly what I wanted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_V View Post
    And where was this? I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    A jump cut is where the camera angle is the same (or as near as dammit) but the action moves. Imagine filming someone walking from a static camera and then cutting a few frames out in the edit.
    You have one at 4:58.
    Easily fixed with a cutaway.
    Tim

A jump cut is where the camera angle is the same (or as near as dammit) but the action moves. Imagine filming someone walking from a static camera and then cutting a few frames out in the edit.
    You have one at 4:58.
    Easily fixed with a cutaway.
    Oh yes, I had forgotten that I had that cut in there. The reason for it was because I needed the footage from before the cut because he introduced what he was going to do, but there was some stuff in between him talking and actually doing something that I wanted to cut out. The jump cut was unavoidable, but its something that could be prevented next time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_V View Post
    The jump cut was unavoidable, but its something that could be prevented next time.
    I reiterate - cutaways. Take lots of shots of random items at random times. They are an editor's friend.
    Tim

I enjoyed your video and like Midnight agree with Tim's comments. I would add that some of the shots were held too long in my opinion, example being the washing of the peppers. This makes the video longer than it has to be. Also there were a shot or two missing from the edit, example being when he gets the bacon out and tells us it looks good but we don't get to see it.

If your facing the problem that the talent has said something on film that you need to use but the shot with the audio is no good or does not fit, then just use the audio over a cutaway.

Good effort.

9. Default

I enjoyed it. Can't really comment on the technical stuff...although after reading some of the comments..I would say they are justified. Excellent job for first shot w/the cooking. There are many details in a cooking walk thru...you covered them well. Nice kitchen!

10. Default

needs more explosions and naked women..hah =D

really good video mate, i like it.. you made this in windows movie maker eh? imagine what you could do with this in sony vegas pro or adobe premiere =D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast