Thread: My first vid ever! :))

Default My first vid ever! :))

So, we had an assignment to make an auto portrait of ourselves in 3 shoots. I kinda cheated :P It's not complete, but I'm gonna turn it in like this because I don't have any more time, but I'd like to hear your comments anyways since I want to improve. The quality is poor part because I had a lousy camera and part because yt wouldn't let me upload with better quality, I kept getting an error. :(

Hello Devillish

I really liked the intro and the video began well but tailed off until the last second when we finally got a closeup. Was the flickering character a deliberate effect or is it an issue with the upload. If deliberate I am not sure I liked it that much. As you were using a split screen effect it would have been very difficult to have shot multiple angles showing the 3 of you, however maybe you could have shot closeups of yourself in each position and cut them in to breakup the long static shot.

Good effort girl, keep them coming

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Hello Devillish

I really liked the intro and the video began well but tailed off until the last second when we finally got a closeup. Was the flickering character a deliberate effect or is it an issue with the upload. If deliberate I am not sure I liked it that much. As you were using a split screen effect it would have been very difficult to have shot multiple angles showing the 3 of you, however maybe you could have shot closeups of yourself in each position and cut them in to breakup the long static shot.

Good effort girl, keep them coming
    The flickering was totally from the camera! LOL, but I kinda liked it in the end. Or maybe I just watched it too many times, so I can't tell the difference.

I actually tried close ups, put the camera on a chair but it couldn't work (at least not for my editing skills) because it's too close. Ironic, huh. :P I just didn't have the room and if I tried to shrink the screen and then add a like a mask or cookie cutter it just couldn't fit in with the other shoots. Plus, I'd get a really small screen trying to fit them all together.

Thank you so much for the comment!!!!

I thought it started well. I liked what looked like pointing a remote control to steady the camera. The judering was "interesting" but I didn't like it. It almost makes it look like a time laps animation. It did tail off in interest after 30 seconds for me.

I thought it was a good choice of music. Also the split screen was done well.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-23-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Thank you Midnight for watching and for commenting!

I honestly don't know if I like it or not. Its different. Unusual, yeah I do think I like it.
    Not the sort you can crit on easily

Thank you solway!

Blog Entries

I too liked the opening (not the titles, but the slowly revolving camera - how did you do that? I'm guessing in post as you then widen the shot out once it's stabilised.
    I think the action really needs to speed up. Don't allow us to get used to (bored with) anything before adding something - unless there's a real purpose. Thus the secod, third and forurch "you" s should enter the scene quite a bit earlier - resulting ain a film lasting about a minute less.

Out of interest, how did you do the final close-up? Did you painstakingly mask around it or did you shoot agains a green screen or something else?

It was all rather underexposed - we couldn't really make out much of your characteristics or your mannerisms which I think is a shame as it's meant to be a portrait.

The computer screen was a distraction (and probably accounted for the under exposure of the rest of it).

I found the music rather sinister - reminiscent of "Tales of the Unexpected" short horror/thriller stories broadcast on UK TV

(From Wikipedia:
    Tales Of The Unexpected is a British television series originally aired between 1979 and 1988, made by Anglia Television for ITV.
    The series was an anthology of different tales, initially based on short stories, collected in a book of the same title, by the author Roald Dahl. The stories were sometimes sinister, sometimes wryly comedic, and usually had a twist ending.
    The upbeat theme music for the series was written by the prolific film and television composer Ron Grainer.)

Certainly an interesting little film.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I too liked the opening (not the titles, but the slowly revolving camera - how did you do that? I'm guessing in post as you then widen the shot out once it's stabilised.
    Just a zooming in and out and rotating the zoom in Vegas.

I think the action really needs to speed up. Don't allow us to get used to (bored with) anything before adding something - unless there's a real purpose. Thus the secod, third and forurch "you" s should enter the scene quite a bit earlier - resulting ain a film lasting about a minute less.
    I agree with all of you that it should have been shorter, lol. I didn't quite think about it when I edited it, as all I thought about was to make sure all three be in the right place.

Out of interest, how did you do the final close-up? Did you painstakingly mask around it or did you shoot agains a green screen or something else?
    Masking. LOL. I cured myself for moving my head that much... but that's what you get for not thinking things through.

It was all rather underexposed - we couldn't really make out much of your characteristics or your mannerisms which I think is a shame as it's meant to be a portrait.

The computer screen was a distraction (and probably accounted for the under exposure of the rest of it).
    Again, lol, I agree with you, though there wasn't anything I could do (except for the computer screen, but I didn't think it would show up like that, there was supposed to be an open program so that I could work on it... and that's supposed to be seen.) It's all very new to me, and I'm glad to be making mistakes like that now, so I could learn.

I found the music rather sinister - reminiscent of "Tales of the Unexpected" short horror/thriller stories broadcast on UK TV

(From Wikipedia:
    Tales Of The Unexpected is a British television series originally aired between 1979 and 1988, made by Anglia Television for ITV.
    The series was an anthology of different tales, initially based on short stories, collected in a book of the same title, by the author Roald Dahl. The stories were sometimes sinister, sometimes wryly comedic, and usually had a twist ending.
    The upbeat theme music for the series was written by the prolific film and television composer Ron Grainer.)

Certainly an interesting little film.
    The only reason there was that music was because of the flickering. It reminded me of the shows that we have here, where people move like puppets and trying to express how we're all like on strings, moving as 'others' dictate - the 'others' being sometimes the government, or some other form of authority. There was even one ep where parents are teaching the child how to walk with strings (like we're all born free, but through our experiences we become robots, or in these cases puppets).

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Honestly, all of you, I really appreciate it!