Thread: Sony Vegas 9 Studio HD Crashes During Render

Default Sony Vegas 9 Studio HD Crashes During Render

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Sony Vegas 9 Studio HD for about a month now to edit stuff for YouTube. My Render is always .mp4 internet 720p @ 30fps.

But right now, I'm trying to render something that is more complex. I have about 20 files that I've edited into what I want (most from a Flip Ultra HD, at least one from a 1080i format). The problem is, everytime I try to compress to the .mp4 format (or really any format that's HD other than .avi) it crashes.

Some Fatal Exception error pops up just after I start the compression and kills Vegas. I've tried everything to try to work around this, including compressing to a different format (.wmv), trying to render only small chunks at the same time, and deleting files off of my hard drive to make more room. Nothing works.

What is going on here? Is the plugin (cited in most of the fatal exceptions I've seen) not working here? Is there a fix to this that I haven't found yet?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

I figured out a workaround.

So basically, I rendered everything to a track on the program in the .wmv format. That option is in the Tools menu instead of the Render option in the File menu.

Kind of a shame. I was looking forward to using .mp4 a lot more, but oh well. The important thing is the results, right?

3. Default

how much ram do you have and what is your processing speed? ideally for the rendering you will need 3 or 4 gigs of ram for the computer to safely process the render and to minimalise the crashing.

One other option you could look at is doing a though dfrag.

I have found if you can reduce the number of tracks in Vegas it helps with rendering, especially the time it takes. I had 3 tracks of 720p footage and a basic stereo sound track that took 50 mins to render a 30 second clip in to mpeg2 ! It still took 20mins to do a basic .avi

5. Default

the timing can vary..sometimes it can take an hour to render a 4 min video of mine..sometimes it can take 20 minutes..it is mainly down to how many layers, video fx, transistions, media generators and other effects you use.

Thats true dusty. I'm not use to such long rendering times. When I was trying Edius 5 the rendering times where much quicker, almost real time if there wasn't much FX which I try and steer clear of. I'm trying to be more organic and get the look I want from the camera rather than "fixing it in post" unless it really needs it.

I had the computer crash problem today when I was trying the render an mpg2 file. I tried three times and it was ok after that. I just put it down to the processor being tiered. I do work it rather hard.

7. Default

understandable.

i saw one of my mates today who is studying media and he had to make some sort of music video for an assignment... he took the basic footage which was rather gray and bland and he turned it into a worhol arty farty type...3 minutes 55 seconds long it was and it took almost two hours to render apparently lol

Quote Originally Posted by teknoaxe View Post
    I figured out a workaround.

So basically, I rendered everything to a track on the program in the .wmv format. That option is in the Tools menu instead of the Render option in the File menu.

Kind of a shame. I was looking forward to using .mp4 a lot more, but oh well. The important thing is the results, right?
    Thanks for posting this work around. I was having crashing trouble during rendering after loading the Xvid codec last night this work around worked great for me.

Now I have to figure out why loading a codec would affect Vegas in this way ?

Sony Vegas 9 does indeed crash alot. For me, I ripped some DV-tape into workbase and went to render a sample as MPEG4 (using FFDshow@VfW). Crashed the instant rendering was about to start. Then tried XviD (VfW), same issue there. Hmm. Never happened with Sony Vegas 8.