Thread: Advice needed on Green screen technology

Default Advice needed on Green screen technology

Hello,

My 13 yr old son wants a DVD camcorder and green screen for xmas. He already has a digital camcorder but seems to have specific reasons for wanting the DVD camcorder as well.
    I have priced up the camcorders and green screen's online. What I wanted advice on is what software he will need, if any, to enable him to use the green screen in his video editing. Also, is there any downloadable software which may be of use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Julie

Blog Entries

I strongly recommend you advise him against a DVD camcorder. They're great for people who simply want to point and shoot and then stick it in their DVD player to see the reults.

For edititing, they're poor.

If he wants to do green screen, he'll get far better results with a MiniDV camcorder or going for a sensible High Definition option (I have no experience here and so will not comment further on that).

Software wise, what you need to look for in the spec is the ability to do "Chroma Keying" (the technical term for "green screen") Most consumer packages have this built in, though there are products which deal specifically with that aspect (if you go down that rout you will need an editing package as well.

You could do a lot worse than look at this bundle:

FXhome.com :: Products :: Green Screen Movie Kit
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-21-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    I'm glad my kids never asked for this at 13 - you're a very generous parent for considering this outlay on something so ........ unusual for a person of that age.
    If the kid is really keen and has shown he is likely to keep at it, then I'd happily consider investing in this sort of worthwhile pursuit. Sure there are plenty of other worthwhile hobbies (especially sports) that might also channel his energies and keep him off the streets, but this lad may not be the sporty kind. I wasn't and channelled my energies into making music.

This also has potential as some sort of career - even if only as a semi pro. Unlikely in soccer or rugby.

And if he does become the next Spielberg or Tarrentino, hopefully he'll remember his parents giving him thisopportunity and look after them well in their dotage

I fully concur with your very sound advice, by the way.
    Tim

My Grandson is 10 and has been 'borrowing' my cameras for 12 months now, so he is getting one of his own this christmas!
    If they're keen, encourage it.

Thanks for the responses, budget wise were probably talkin around the 400 mark, which isnt huge but he wants other stuff too. I am willing to fork out in this area as much as I can because he has been extremely keen and focussed for a few years now. He currently has a Vivitar DVR688, which he has made some great stuff with...but he wants to do more. I know this budget is a bit limited, (he's the eldest of 3) but if we purchase the right equipment this year then we can build on it as we go.
    Yeah i hope he does remember this if he becomes the next Steven Speilberg, or Tarrentino!!